The Horse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.
My name is Amber, and I'm getting a new horse. My riding school is having a big sale because they're closing. They are all relativly bomb-proof and sane. There will be about 20 or so in a paddock to choose from, all $500 to $10,000. I'm quite partial by a big shire gelding named Spud, but he's quite tall and I'm a little scared of tall(er) horses. There are quite a few ponies that I'm going to look at.. so I'll tell you of the outcome! There is one who is about 29 who they still ride ragged, which I want to save from going to another riding school.. But I can only get one and I want an eventer, but my heart is all sad. Gah! Help me choose?

I'm 14 years old by the way, this will be my first horse.

·
Registered
562 Posts
choose one who is in their teens, because you want a horse that is well trained and one whos been there done that.
as for size, being your 14, your probubly still going to grow, so dont get one thats really small. try to go for 14.3hh to 15.3hh. thats still a small to medium horse (you said your kind of scared of taller horses).
get one with good ground manners. alot of lesson horses are real bratty because all the different kids let them get away with bad behavior.
i know this first hand because when my lesson barn closed, i bought one of their horses.
make sure the horse you buy is SOUND. sometimes, when a lesson barn closes, the barn owner doesnt have much time to sell all their horses, so they stretch the truth a bit to get them all homes. ive heard of barn owners buting up lesson horses who arnt totally sound for lessons. youll want to get a vet check on whatever horse your interested in.
find out what he or she has been eating and how much so you can keep her diet the same for the first 2 weeks, and then if you want to change something, do it gradually over 10-14 days.
alot of "ex" school horses need a joint supplment (glucosomine chondrotin HA msm) to stay sore-free
also, youll want to expect to ride 4-6 times a week to keep your horse in good shape.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys :D
Thanks for the info, heyycutter.
I'll be going down tonight, I'm sooo excited. :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So excited!

Well.. the riding school rang us and asked if I wanted to come down earlier, so of course we are! We're going at 7pm, because the horses finish lessons for the year. (They're closing the school at the end of the term..)
Woot! I'll take lots of piccies! It might be dark though. :D

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Ah, I see. Ask lots of questions, don't be shy. Get conformation, records, pedigree if available. FULL HISTORY. Take a test ride if possible.

Otherwise I'm excited for you! Good luck! You should get pictures too :)!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll post pictures of all the horses, I've ridden most of them, but having one for just me is a hard decision!!!

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
How many are you looking at? And what exactly (other than an Eventer) are you looking for? Mare? Gelding? Other special training? Project horse? Or been there done that ride for fun horse? :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kind of just a pleasure riding horse that can jump.
I love Spud but he just soooo tall!!!!! About 17hh.
I also like William, a 14hh pony with a mini blanked over his bum.
(He's not an appy, they are age marks)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts