The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the worst time finding a reliable farrier, they will tell me they'll be at my house at 10am and come at 5pm, if they come at all. If I'm lucky enough for them to show up then they do a horrible trim job. My one horse I don't ride, so it doesn't have to be perfect, but she's still old and needs a good trim. And my young horse I do ride so he needs more than just a "pasture trim". I have the worst time finding a farrier here, and I have cycled though many. I just can't find a farrier that makes me say "Wow!" after a trim.

I've been researching barefoot hoof care and trimming for around two years now. I could be saving precious money that could go towards something other than putting my horses in pain. Does anyone do their own horses?.

http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/farrier-29868/
Take a look at that thread I posted awhile back, this was right after my farrier left. This is on my horse that I ride. And the farrier who did this was highly recommended. Everyone told me to call the guy back, I did, and he never tried to call me back.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I trim my own and have been doing so for the last two years or so. I did get a farrier to come out and evaluate my work a couple times. Wanted to make sure I wasn't screwing anything up.

If that's the kind of trims your getting I would start doing your own too.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds like a good idea.

I went out today and just rasped a little, just to get the feel of it and to get my horses use to it. I'm going to try to just do a maintenance trim every 1-2 weeks. I think it will benefit both of them.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Not to mention if you're just using a rasp (like I do) it's a heck of a lot less work if you do it every 1-2 wks. I have two horses, so I try to keep them on a rotating schedule, so I'm never doing 8 hooves in one day.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
If I was physically able to trim all 4 horses hooves I would still have a reputable farrier come by once in a while to check my work. I think your should go for it, but don't do it without some input from a professional.

·
Registered
956 Posts
My horse is barefoot all year long, but I ride her on the roads a lot so her feet stay nearly perfect that way. However she does wear more off the toe than the heal and so I rasp her heel every couple of weeks. I also give her a mustang roll so they don't chip. I have the farrier out once in the spring and fall just to make sure everything is all good.
I say that you should go for it. Just take it slow and don't do too much at one time.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Glad you put your last forum post on here. I was looking through it and someone had put a place to find barefoot farriers on there. I found one from Ohio that will come out and do your horse and teach you as well how to do the trim. Loving this idea. I may have to give him a call! Thanks!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Wishing you the best of luck! I wish I could do that kind of thing! Our barefoot farrier is amazing. I think she'll be looking for an apprentice soon, I hope someone takes her up on it because she is hands down the best farrier I've met in about 20 years.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Not to mention if you're just using a rasp (like I do) it's a heck of a lot less work if you do it every 1-2 wks. I have two horses, so I try to keep them on a rotating schedule, so I'm never doing 8 hooves in one day.
I used to do all 3 of our mares at the same time, but the older I get, I find it's just easier on my body to rotate 1 per weekend, too.

Good luck...I think it's a great thing to do. You learn a lot about how your horses hooves grow, wear, and about how the weather and seasons affect the growth.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
GandRPaints: Let me know how that goes. I'd love someone to come out and show me and I'm in Ohio.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm very surprised my older horse let me do her back feet, 2 farriers I had, she wouldn't let touch them, and she picked them right up for me.. I'm very surprised and happy.

I found it really hard to do the back feet, and I don't have a hoof jack.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Get a hoof jack asap. Makes it WAY easier. Your body will thank you and so will your horse. :)

I'm not surprised your girl let YOU do her back feet. She knows and trusts you... and your not drunk. :) My gelding was blind in one eye and very difficult on that side's hind leg for the farrier. He almost kicked a guy once and the guy got a little rough with him. I don't blame the farrier, but I didn't really blame the horse either. Shortly after that I started trimming and he was much better with me than the farriers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i know a woman who's done her own horses for years, once i helped her trim a horses hooves lol :) didn't seem that hard to do once you know i suppose, its something i'd do myself in the future, but i'd get somebody to make sure it was OK until i could make sure myself, just in case ! :)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
We FINALLY found a farrier who does an ace job - AND our horses don't fight him like they have the others, and he doesn't get mad at them either. It's like the horses know who's good and who's rubbish XD

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I dont think I would ever attempt a hoof trim myself without taking some classes. Or studying for a few months. Its not hard to mess up, and it takes weeks to grow back. I boarded with a woman who had a horse trimed wrong and coliced because it was so painful.
I found my farrier doing an online search. Ironiclly the ones I didnt like were from the AFA website, and the good ones I found via accident or word of mouth.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Hey did you know they have courses that teach you how to trim. Could be interesting and might help you get ready to do it.

Good for you! Hope it all works out for you :D

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I know, I tried to trim for months without a hoof jack. Finally broke down and found the money. Don't know how I survived without it. :) You're a lucky man :)

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is probably why, usually though, if you even attempt to touch her feet she freaks out and kicks like a cow. I need a hoof jack desperately, the back are the worst to do for me. I've been doing research for around 2 years, I haven't found classes around me but if I did I would go in a heartbeat.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.