The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup its official my horses are just pasture puffs till frikken spring decides to come around! Drive way is to slippery to get them to the road do some riding.. and pastures to rough and slippery as well to ride there.. Cant trailer anywhere cause its to slippery to back up the trailer to the horses if we moved it....again having to try to walk them across the drive way wouldnt be safe.. Landlord doesn't want us to sand or salt either!! "because it will ruin the foundation if you use salt" .. He didnt give us a reason for sand though.. but I can see all the muscle we put so much work into this summer slowly going away! :(

Its not gonna be easy to get her back into shape in time for show season! How do you keep your horses muscles in shape without riding 4-5 days a week.. or even once a week for that matter!

-dieing slowly here-

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
I'm right there with you. I have had many lessons cancelled this season due to the weather. Now I just bought my first horse and I'm so eager to ride her and work with her but the weather has not been cooperative. I'm even taking a vacation day from work hoping that I will have a 2 hour window of acceptable weather to work with her. Then I look at the weather forecast for next week and it's all snow, ice, freezing rain....yuck.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
The only things that keep my horses in their stalls are these 3, or a combination of them:
1) Icy footing--one horse can negotiate it, but playing can make somebody fall with bad results
2) super low wind chills
#1 &/or #2 AND I'm home after 6 pm from work
OTHERWISE, I turn my horses out every day during the winter and they are full time turnout, April to November.
You cannot duplicate the muscle they get from hard riding, BUT, you can keep them limber and mentally relaxed with as much turnout as possible. =D

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh they get turned out some days for 24 hours, so times just for 12. If its freezing rain or way under 0 they wills stay in. If they had to stay in plus no real exercise id be in trouble! Especially with my yearling. lol

Ive even debated on just starting to learn tricks to keep their minds working with me... gah!

·
Registered
175 Posts
In the same boat. It snowed and now everything is crappy and cold!! My horses are basically pasture puffs again. It's pretty frustrating for a lot of people.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah its been a pretty crappy winter. :( I think the most I do is feed, water, and clean their stalls.. as well as groom them! ... and thats about it! -sigh-

·
Registered
56 Posts
My barnmates and I are pretty die hard, even going on shorty rides along the road just to keep going this winter, but we haven't ridden in 3wks!

The barn drive is just glare ice. The forecast says 52 on Sunday and we're so excited to just get ON again. I don't care if we have to walk them through the yard to avoid the driveway ice - I need to ride!

Super Bowl be ****ed I need that second heartbeat beneath me, it's been too long!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
HorsesAreForever, I use potting soil. It's pretty cheap this time of year. It has to be in where it's warm to dry out as it's damp. I stand upwind, bend over and toss a handful in a sweeping motion. The breeze will move it even farther. This will definitely not hurt the driveway nor the surrounding soil. If the temp is in the 10*F range you can use lawn fertilizer to melt the ice. Look for one that is high in potash. It won't hurt the driveway either. The potting soil will help melt it too.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I empathise.

Our roads are too icy, and the snow on the fields was turned to ice in the big thaw-freeze that was January. I can load mine into my trailer to take them to the barn down the road so ai am taking Ukon out twice a week, and Riley once or not at all.

I think we are all going stir crazy waiting for ground conditions to improve. Another dump of snow would improve the roads somewhat.

Oh - and the fields are so bad with rutted pitted thawed frozen ice snow that a) the horses can't dig under for the grass so they are bored and b) every morning I count legs anxiously in expectation of a broken leg.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Horsetamer: Only one of my horses have shoes.. and she has both Borium/studs to help with traction but Its not worth the risk to see how well it really works on ice!

Saddlebag I never even thought of top soil or fertilizer! Ill have to bring that up to my land lord and see what he think!

I dislike snow but Ill take another few inches just to help with traction!

Sadly my bf isnt into moving.. trust me ive brought up like 4 times lol! My boyfriend is up for an indoor WAYYYYY in the future haha!

This is the first winter Ive had my 3 horses home.. Ive been spoiled with indoors for the past 10 years... Hard to adjust!

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
Rosie please don't mention another dump of snow. I have snowbanks behind the original 5' snowbanks left by the grader. They are as high as a bobcat can make them. Never have we had this much snow to deal with.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Saddlebag that's exactly how we were until the weird thaw fortnight of January. All the windrows and banks have now halved in size. Which is what has caused the horrendous ice everywhere.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm so glad I don't live in Northern Michigan anymore! winters there were horrible. Now it rains but I have an indoor where I board. We don't get to do nearly as many trail rides but we survive...

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
i board at an all outdoor barn. our arena is a skating rink, our round pen is so deeply snowed in that horses look like high stepping hackneys just attempting to walk in it, and our pathways between pastures, grooming areas, etc are so slick you can just about see your reflection if you look at the ground. the barn manager does what he can to keep things sanded, but with an 80 acre property, one person, and freezing cold weather, there is only so much you can do.

needless to say, i haven't been able to ride since we had that thawing fortnight Rosie mentioned. it sucks. i feel like i'm throwing money away in board because i can barely even bring my horse in from pasture to groom and love on him without worrying about ice / him or me slipping and falling, never mind be able to enjoy the barn amenities and ride.

but spring is coming. it may seem like a long way away now, but the sun is getting stronger, the days are getting longer, and before we know it we'll be complaining that we can't ride because it's too rainy and muddy, lol.

come on summer! ya can't get here fast enough!

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I'm so glad I don't live in Northern Michigan anymore! winters there were horrible. Now it rains but I have an indoor where I board. We don't get to do nearly as many trail rides but we survive...
A former N MI native!! Where (if I may ask) did you live? We've owned our home/property for 12 yrs and love it! Then again we love snow - even in the huge abundance that's been granted us this year! haha :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.