The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so excited!! I was talking to the folks that I bought Lyric from last night and they knew I was in love with Lyric's mom. Last night they offered to sell her to me!! I am so excited!! We're trying to work out the details now...but it feels like Christmas, I am so excited!!!! Not only would I be getting her, but she was bred for a 2010 foal!!!

Anyways..I have a couple of bad pictures of her.

Wish me luck!!!

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The owner sent me a few more pictures today.

The foal in the pictures are my Lyric.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Does anyone understand the genetics of a grey and what possibilities are there for the color of her baby? And explain how a grey and a buckskin equaled a palomino foal? (my Lyric)

I guess I could tell you that the mare, Comanche, is considered a grey. Both her parents were a grey. Her mother's parents were a gray and a chestnut. Her father's parents were a grey and a roan.

Comanche is bred to a Buckskin named Dusty. His parents were a dun and a bay. His mother's parents were a buckskin and a bay and his father's parents were a palomino and a bay.

(not actually sure if any of this helps)

I'd love to know if I have a chance for another grey...or if she'll throw another palomino like Lyric. (same sire for both breedings.)

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is just a vent. I don't have anyone else to vent to because they would never understand.

I've been waiting for a few days to see if I could get Lyric's mom after she was offered to me. Long story short, is they wanted a decent amount of money for her. I asked if they would take a payment plan, but it was too stretched out for them. They asked for a heifer cow in trade. I didn't feel it was right to ask my fiance for one of his to trade so I told them, thanks for the offer, but I couldn't. Well, my fiance finds out, and OFFERS me one of his calf heifers to use as trade. Because of a snow storm it takes me a couple of days to get them a photo of the heifer and I finally get it today. I send it off, wait all day on pins and needles, and finally hear back around 4 p.m. today that they would be willing to make a trade. I was so excited I was dancing around the house....only to find out that my fiance has changed his mind. He no longer wants to do the trade. I'm devistated. I so wanted that mare and her upcoming foal. It was a dream of mine. It hurts worse because he OFFERED all on his own violation. I didn't ask. And for him to change his mind...after they said yes. I am soo very hurt. I'm not sure when I'll get over this..or how it will affect our relationship. It seems like if there is one person in the world that you can trust not to go back on their word or not to hurt you would be your spouse. (or soon to be spouse)

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Oh my gosh, that is devastating. Have you sat down with him and talked to him? as difficult and as heart breaking as it is, maybe there happened to be something came up or a reason why it happened.

I would surely hope that as much as you might not be close for a while because of this, it wouldn't affect your relationship. Life is going to be bringing up some trials, some big life trials that go past the trading of a cow for a horse-if it does affect your relationship, you have bigger problems on your hands than a horse.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He and I talked and sorted it all out. It was alot of miscommunication and misunderstanding. I know why he changed his mind and I understand it. He also understands how much I want her and is willing to help me achieve my dream.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
He and I talked and sorted it all out. It was alot of miscommunication and misunderstanding. I know why he changed his mind and I understand it. He also understands how much I want her and is willing to help me achieve my dream.
So glad you guys figured out what happened. He seems like a really understanding guy, even more so because he wants to help you. You'll get there! good luck :)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I hope you work it out, whether you get her or not, I'm sure it all happens for a reason.

As for the gray genetics, you'd really need to know her base color. She is heterozygous for gray, meaning she only carries one gray gene, we know this because she's had atleast one non gray foal, so she will pass gray on 50% of the time (meaning there is a 50% chance the foal will be gray). We also know she carries atleast one red gene, we know this because her foal is red based (palomino).

Palomino is a red horse w/ one cream gene, buckskin is bay w/ one cream gene. So both parents passed a red gene, and one parent (dad would be my guess) passed her a cream gene, that's how you got a palomino!

As for what she'll have this time, still hard to say w/out knowing her base color, but 50% chance of going gray, and w/ a buckskin dad it may be buckskin or palomino, could also be bay. I think there are some websites that can calculate colors for you, but they'd also need to know her base color.

So was that good and confusing? It seems so much easier to understand then it is to explain.

She's a pretty mare!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Some of the photos she looks grey some she looks silver dun. She has a line down her back and a small "skunk tail". How old is she? Beautiful mare,good luck getting her.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
She's a coming 8 yr old mare. Here are some pictures I took of her today. Went out to the farm and visited her there. I can't wait for her to come home!!!! Look at her baby belly!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.