The Horse Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My horses got into all grain bins and ate everything in it wasn't much in vet came to tube them they are acting Normal and wanting to run around just wondering would it be ok to work them? And what are some signs of a impaction coming?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I had a horse with impaction colic once. It looked like a regular severe colic. The vet saved her life.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
How much grain did they eat ? What kind of grain was it?

They start acting colicky,not interested in eating laying down more. I'd be more concerned about laminitis. Depending on what an how much they ate.

That's why having feed in a good secure place horses can't get into. Is a good idea, prevention is key.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I am with Rambo. I think the biggest issue would be acidosis which may cause laminitis. How long ago was the horse tubed? How much manure has passed? I would think if the episode were a 2-3 days ago the worst has passed and you can safely ride. If it was 10 hours ago - give the horse some time off.

·
Super Moderator
13,653 Posts
Did your vet not give you follow-up instructions based on what they found on exam?
Intestines depending up on horse size are between 50 - 70 feet in length...that right there tells me to factor in time till a "clear" is achieved.
Till you have oily manure and quite a bit of it in several piles I would not tax that animal anymore than already done with the upset gut..
My one horse impact coliced, it was a near 3 days before he felt better.
Another horse gas coliced...thought we were going to lose that one... 2 solid days of never leaving his side, someone was with him constantly...
Call your vet and ask for directions on the follow-up care....
But to me, you aren't out of the woods for 3 days minimum with a gut that can be distressed that is that long in length.
Drugs administered by the vet and from you also can mask, so don't think because the animal is moving all is great...
If the horse was mine, it would be 5 days before I would consider a ride, a gentle ride if this was a nasty episode.
Call your vet!!
They are the only one who knows from examination what is happening {hopefully} with that animal.
:runninghorse2:...
jmo..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rambo99 there was 3 bins one with a supplement every bin of grain was way under half they are very interested in eating

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Horse loving guy I was not there we were told by the person who feeds morning she stayed out there for the vet we've had oliy piles and a lot of them they also are getting meds

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Horse loving guy our vet said if they are showing signs of colic, rocking on back or front feet, not moving around, to call them my horses are acting completely normal vet said for the horses wanting to eat and run around is a good sign we have to have them meds believe the vet said to prevent colic

·
Super Moderator
13,653 Posts
A "good sign" does not mean ride though... :neutral:
That is the question to ask...
"When can we resume riding and how hard can we ride, exercise and when do our normal{explain your normal}routines become normal again..."
Unless you asked you don't know...to me "a good sign" leaves a lot of room for interpretation that needs clarification.

That is a lot of feed...or supplement eaten.
My feed is kept in garbage cans ...standard size metal cans.
My cans hold 150 pounds of feed...so if 1/3 full you are referring to 50+ pounds of feed even if eaten by several animals someone truly gorged before being chased off by the next in line to eat their full...
Yes, you should have concerns for after-effects of overindulgence.

My horses were interested in eating too...drugs is good and while on-board can make a animal feel "normal" when administering it.
It did not mean we were out of the woods yet even having "good signs"...
The oily manure is a nice indicator, but till you know the innards of the horse are not in shock...
I just would not return my horse so quick to a over-active routine just yet...take it easy and make sure you truly are out of the woods and danger.
Please keep your guard up and watch really close...

Good luck.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Is there a reason you're in a rush to get back on?

If it was my horse, I would be so focused on her health I wouldn't even be thinking about riding. No harm done letting horses not be ridden for a week or a few. I would patiently wait a week and re-evaluate.

·
Super Moderator
16,042 Posts
I had collected a load of feed, most went into the bins but I left out several bags as I wanted to empty the bin.

That night I didn't put down the handle on the loose barn door so the beggars let themselves out.

That had a party, that's for Sure!

All the bags of feed were ripped open, sacks of carrots too. They had 'played' with the empty feed sacks at the end of the barn, torn down and opened bales of shavings, chewed holes in the big bales of haulage. What feed wasn't eaten was trampled and pooped on

They had also emptied out all the stabled horses grooming buckets and pooped over many of the brushes! The place was an absolute litter.
(I did have pictures of this but they are on PhotoBucket and I will not pay their fees so no longer available)

I enlisted the help of a friend's two daughters and it took us all day to clear the mess.

I didn't turn any of them out but put them back in the loose barn whereby they proceeded to lie down making a cacophony of noises from both ends. Periodically they would get up, mooch around, have a drink and go back to bed.

I didn't call the vet as they were not showing any signs of colic, they were all fine.

Usually, when I mixed the feeds they would stand watching me waiting for their rations. It was three days before they did this! Guess they had over eaten. LOL.

My boss when I told him what had happened and he saw the mess, just said, "Bet you don't do that again!"

He was right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aprilswissim I care about his health my horse is so over Weight vets say he can die from not getting worked enough and when someone says working horses doesn't mean they mean riding

·
Super Moderator
13,653 Posts
Sounds like your horses escaped a huge problem and "lesson learned" by your comment of "we moved..." says a lot.

You seem to be in a dilemma if your horse is that obese/overweight whatever the reason that not "working" could kill them. "vets say he can die from not getting worked enough", your words...
Whatever kind of work you accomplish I wish you good luck no adverse effects come about...
I truly hope you dodged the horrors...
Please, remain diligent & alert to small changes though....you are the animals advocate for health and life.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts