The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know Junior was sold three months ago, well he was leased out and the lady was supposed to make payments, she didn't.

Long story short he is probably coming home in a couple weeks and I have a decision to make.

I have figured out that it would cost roughly $900 dollars to pay for all of Junior's costs until the end of December, meaning I would be free leasing him until then. So I could ask my dad to help me out with the costs and try to convince him to do it, or I could just let go again.

I am going to start riding a few new horses at another friends house, but Junior means the world to me. The thing is I am a senior in high school and will be starting community college next september. That means I will be going to college full time and working still as well.

I don't know what I should do, half of me wants to do whatever I can to keep him but the other half is telling me that it is time to let go.

What do you guys think? I need help :( It is a lot of money and I don't want to go to my dad unless I am sure I should follow through.

Is that worth letting go of and moving on to a new horse and possibly a new opportunity or should I try to juggle school, work and riding up to seven horses [my friend has six, it is unlikely that I will ride them all but I don't know for sure yet].

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I think all that is asking entirely to much of yourself. I think you should find Junior a good home.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I am confused. Hes your responsability right? Hes your horse since the lease fell through?

If he's yours you dont really have the choice to give up on him, you keep him forever or you keep him untill you can sell him. $900 till next december?? Thats $90 a month. If you cant afford him the only responsible thing to do is sell him, or find someone who will take him from you. Dont count on your father to pay for the horse, what if something happens, and he cant pay anymore.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
As most of you know Junior was sold three months ago, well he was leased out and the lady was supposed to make payments, she didn't.

Long story short he is probably coming home in a couple weeks and I have a decision to make.

I have figured out that it would cost roughly $900 dollars to pay for all of Junior's costs until the end of December, meaning I would be free leasing him until then. So I could ask my dad to help me out with the costs and try to convince him to do it, or I could just let go again.

I am going to start riding a few new horses at another friends house, but Junior means the world to me. The thing is I am a senior in high school and will be starting community college next september. That means I will be going to college full time and working still as well.

I don't know what I should do, half of me wants to do whatever I can to keep him but the other half is telling me that it is time to let go.

What do you guys think? I need help :( It is a lot of money and I don't want to go to my dad unless I am sure I should follow through.

YouTube - This is goodbye.

Is that worth letting go of and moving on to a new horse and possibly a new opportunity or should I try to juggle school, work and riding up to seven horses [my friend has six, it is unlikely that I will ride them all but I don't know for sure yet].
That's why school is such a difficult thing. I was lucky because we had land when I went to school so I put my horses to pasture while I was gone.
Unless horses and riding is something that you plan to pursue as a career, I will let you know right now, horses are going to be a vry hard thing to keep up with once you start your new career and you go thru a few big changes in your life. A lot of people have the same issue which is why you see so many horses for sale due to the owners going to college :)

It can be a very hard decision, but I think you've already answered yourself you're just to scared to admit that you have, it's a hard situation.
I don't want to answer this question for you, but I think finding him a home that will spend all the time and care with him will be a better and more healthy decision.

Good luck :)

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
I have a question.....why are you riding other people's horses when you won't even have time for YOUR horse? That seems a little backwards to me. I have an almost full time job (I work an average of 30 hours a week), plus I go to school (college--3/4 time) and I have my horse. I make time for him....if that means I have to skip out on hanging out with friends for a day that's a decision I make because Ice is my horse and that means I have the responsibility of caring for him. If you aren't willing to find a way to work your schedule so that you can have time, I would say get him into a new home ASAP. Its not fair to him otherwise. However, if you do love him as much as you say you do, make a sacrifice or two.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
^^ I think she was planning on riding other people horses, since hers was sold/or leased long term to someone else. I was interpreting it as a lease to own situation.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Se was wanting to do a free use lease where she pays for everything. ;] She doesnt own him, though she has been riding him for the past year +. Tried to sell him, the place just isnt working out.

Just wanted to clear things up since she wont be on till a bit later today.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
well i go to college, have been for the past one and a half years, got a horse in october. my 1st :). college is different here though, im 18 (on sat) and live at home. going to uni in sept and taking my horse with me :), dont care how much it costs im sure i will live. maybe you could do that? or free lease him to a barn or someone more trustworthy.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to everyone that thought he was mine, I did state in the first post that I would be doing a lease on him. He isn't mind he belongs to eventerwannabe, I would just be leasing him if I can because I have bonded with him. Just wanted to clear that up to everyone.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
So you're asking us if you should struggle financially and struggle having time for school, studying, work and riding all for a horse you don't even own? Not to mention there are six other horses you are wanting to ride. I don't know how you are going to find time for very much riding at all, much less to take on the full-time care of a horse. Horses require a lot of time and money. I realize you have taken in consideration the normal costs of the horse upkeep, but what if something unforeseen happens such as an injury or sickness to the horse? Something like that can drain a budget quick. I really think you should get through college first.

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
Ahem. I go to school full-time. I work full-time. Not just normal work. Working my way up to management work. And I have two horses that need to be ridden and/or worked with at least three days a week. AND my board is self care. You do what you have to.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have made up my mind on my own. Thanks though.

And again to clear things up I would either be riding just Junior or riding at my other friend's house, I most likely wouldn't do both unless I felt I could.

I understand school is important I don't need to be lectured about that, the thing is that I am going to school to enter into a horse profession. To get into the school I am going to you have to submit a five minute riding video so they can evaluate you. Hence the reason I need to ride still. I can't just go a couple years [two years while I am at community college] without riding and then submit a video and expect to get accepted.

So riding is a vital part of my life, not just a hobby, it is my life.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I don't recall anyone telling you to stop riding. You asked us if you should lease a horse. When you were explaining it to us, you said that if you do lease the horse you might have to ride seven horses...your leased horse and six of your friends:

You made it sound as though you wanted to ride your friends six horses + the horse you were leasing. No need to back peddle now. I was just trying to help. You said you were going to be riding 7 horses, not giving up one for the other. I also do not recall anyone giving you a lecture about school...all I've seen anyone do is just answer what you asked.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry if you misunderstood sandy2u1, in the spot of my post you quoted it does clearly say up to seven horses and then right after that it says it is unlikely that i will ride them all. So I guess I am confused on where you got that I would have to be riding seven horses when I said I might ride seven not that I would for sure...

Anyway it doesn't matter I am not going to argue with people over a website.

As I said I made up my mind on my own, I was just getting some opinions but almost everyone took my post wrong and immediately jumped on me about doing the right thing for Junior and about how it wasn't right for me to ride other horses when I can't ride him because they all thought he was mine.

Junior never has been and is not to this day my horse.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
I hope your riding has improved from that video. No offence, but it isn't the best most of the time.
I really hope that you get into the horse career and I think you should let Junior go since he isnt yours.
Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Why do people have to go to school? Why cant we all just be stupid and have horses?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Saying no offence doesn't stop there from being offence. So yes I am offended thunderhooves. I didn't ask for critique in my riding so please don't critique it.

And why the heck does school keep getting brought up. I am going to community college for two years and then going to a university in New Jersey for two years.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I did understand that you may not be riding every horse. I was simply referring to your comment about trading one for the other:
And again to clear things up I would either be riding just Junior or riding at my other friend's house, I most likely wouldn't do both unless I felt I could.

In your original post, you made it sound as if you were going to be riding all. You referred to riding seven horses instead of six if you did decide to lease junior. That is what made me think you where planning on doing BOTH!!! You can do whatever you want, but if you spread yourself to thin, something will suffer. You have all the information you need and if you do decide to lease junior then you need to make him your first priority. After all, he is only a horse and he cannot choose for himself where he has to live. IMO, every horse deserves exercise, food, water, farrier, vaccinations, deworming and emergency vet care when necessary. Are you willing to give up a semester at college if junior requires emergency care?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am done answering questions. I already have stated that I have MADE UP MY MIND on my own. I have read the advice and have made my decision, end of story.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.