The Horse Forum banner

Increasing chances of splash?

4005 42
What is the best stud choice to increase chances of passing mare's splash to foal? or is it just hit and miss?

I would like to have another chestnut splash overo or a splash overo of any color, If you were going for the same thing what would you bred her to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,150 Posts
Well you mare is showing a frame pattern... Is that what you are referring to? (I mean as in her pattern. She does look to have splash as well, but the majority of her white is caused by frame and not splash).

Either way there is no way to guarantee an increase in a chance of white. it is totally random on placement. We can give you genetics that a foal might possibly get, but there is no way to predetermine the size/amount of white a foal would have.

If you are wanting a specific type/color/size of white pattern you are better of buying.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,583 Posts
It is hit and miss, but before considering breeding your splash overo, you may want to test for frame to eliminate the possibilities of producing a lethal white. It hides itself quite well, and your mare may be a carrier -to me, she looks more like a minimally expressed frame than she does a splash IMO. If your mare is a carrier, any stallion that is also a carrier should be removed off your list. From there you can look at other studs with the splash gene, but it is going to be a gamble to get what you are looking for. It may be far easier to find a young foal on the market that has the color, conformation, and breeding that you desire.

I know that in my mom's case, she wasn't able to find what she was looking for on the horse market, so she is breeding for it. She is guaranteed the color she wants but not the gender or markings that she desires. She made selective choices in mare and stallion that increases her odds of getting what she wants with breeding well conformed, well bred, and good temperaments that carry the traits to produce the coloration she is trying to acheive.

edit- ND replied before me, I take forever to type and proof read :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I understand that the "smart" thing to do would be to buy what I am looking for but color is not my priority just a "would be nice" factor.

Since she is overo I thought I could not breed to another overo, period. So you are saying if a stud tests negative I could safely breed to another overo?

is it just frame overos that produce OLWS? What would I be testing for to be sure no matter what she was bred to there would not be a chance for OLWS, or is that possible? OR as long as the say "frame overo" stud is negative it is safe to breed? it's just when both are positive there can be problems, right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,150 Posts
Splash is white markings.

Everything Sunny and I said isn't going to change. It is the exact same answer. There is no way to increase the chance.

Same answer as before. You want a certain color/pattern you're better off buying it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She made selective choices in mare and stallion that increases her odds of getting what she wants with breeding well conformed, well bred, and good temperaments that carry the traits to produce the coloration she is trying to acheive.

This is exactly what I am trying to do :wink: Color defiantly isn't my MAIN goal but it would be really nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,150 Posts
You edited you other post since I posted my last one.

Frame is OLWS and OLWS is frame. There are other overo patterns though and they are all called "over" (which is asinine, but that is a whole different rant of mine).

Yes breeding to a frame/OLWS negative stud and you would have no problems.

ETA Every Frame/OLWS to Frame/OLWS breeding produces a 25% chance of a non-carrier, 50% chance of carrier, and a 25% chance of a lethal foal. That is every pairing, not over the breeding lifetime. Every pairing of positive horses the foal has a chance to be one fo the three outcomes listed above.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is no way to increase the chance..
That's wrong.

If I were to breed her to a solid chestnut my chances of paint markings would be far less than breeding to a paint. I am just asking what would be the best paint pattern (tobiano,tovero,overo-sabino,frame,splash etc ) to get what I am looking for...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,583 Posts
Tobiano won't give you a pattern like your mare's. But any QUALITY paint stud that compliments your mare and for the discipline you are breeding for would be good so long as you aren't breeding two OLWS carriers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,150 Posts
Frame is the only overo pattern that produces OLWS foals. Do not assume that frame is not there on any horse (unless it isn't within that particular breed, but I am meaning stock type horses and JC horses). It can hide under tobiano, it can hide under splash, it can hide under pretty much everything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I like both but I really like Smokes Navajo.

Here's another really ridiculous question....Shipped semen-on the stallion contract they state how studs ranch will care for mare, I thought shipped semen was where it was shipped to MARE and then your vet did AI?
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top