The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get our QH to drink more water. He has a 23 Gallon Muck Bucket that we refill every day, and on a good day he drinks half. Sometimes he only drinks a few inches of water, I am not sure how many gallons that is but can't be more than a few. he gets soaked alfalfa cubes with a good bit of water morning and night so there's some extra water. And he has a large mineral block. I am not sure what else to do. I have tried different troughs and I have tried moving his water. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I'd like to get our QH to drink more water. He has a 23 Gallon Muck Bucket that we refill every day, and on a good day he drinks half. Sometimes he only drinks a few inches of water, I am not sure how many gallons that is but can't be more than a few. he gets soaked alfalfa cubes with a good bit of water morning and night so there's some extra water. And he has a large mineral block. I am not sure what else to do. I have tried different troughs and I have tried moving his water. Any suggestions?
Provide loose salt - it is proven that horses cannot get the salt and minerals that they need from a block.

I feed Redmond Loose Rock salt once per day with my horses feed. You could add it into the alfalfa cubes directly.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I feed my horses soaked beet pulp so that they get extra water that way as well. As already mentioned above I also provide loose salt in their feed in addition to the mineral blocks in their paddock. When they sweat a lot I also give them electrolytes in their feed.

Some days my guys drink lots of water and other days not so much. When it is cool & rainy I think they get a lot of water just from grazing - they never appear to be dehydrated.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I feed my horses soaked beet pulp so that they get extra water that way as well. As already mentioned above I also provide loose salt in their feed in addition to the mineral blocks in their paddock. When they sweat a lot I also give them electrolytes in their feed.

Some days my guys drink lots of water and other days not so much. When it is cool & rainy I think they get a lot of water just from grazing - they never appear to be dehydrated.

That's comforting. It rained the last few days and that's when his water intake really plummeted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts