The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Indian War Bridles?

5K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Mulefeather 
#1 ·
On a recent post about hackamores in dressage I saw a picture of an english jumper and it looked super cool and later found out that it is called a war bridle or an Indian war bridle. They looked SUPER cool (especially with feathers) so I went online and I found like a billion different sellers on esty. (nearly all customizable)!

But the thing is, it's just a rope in the mouth.

My question is-is it safe and fine for a horse or would it rub its mouth?

Thank you so much and God bless you!! :D
:blueunicorn:

#2 ·
The ones I'm familiar with, used by some Northern Cheyenne and Crow during reenactments (and by very few of them), the whole thing is leather. Including the mouthpiece.

One can get along with them. And undoubtedly some horse will go okay in one, but I'm always reminded of what a Crow horseman told a tourist when she asked why the Indian jockeys and their horses didn't use the war bridle.

His reply was: "Ahhh, yes, the war bridle. We used those until we won a couple wars and took all the cavalry bridles and bits. They work much better."

But, if you want, I'd sure try it. Let us know how your horse(s) and you like it. :)

#6 ·
When I was a kid (12-14) I rode my horse with a piece of smooth clothesline in her mouth, knotted loose under her jaw, and bareback. I guess I was a minimalist. ;-) We rode all over the mountains like that doing typical stupid kid stuff (i.e., no dare passed on!) and she never once had sores. Heck, she could (and did, occasionally) spit the thing out at will!

#8 ·
I would advise only using something like that if your horse is very good at giving to pressure, and you have good hands and can maintain light contact. They actually do make a type of bit now that is like a war bridle, where it is a smooth piece of biothane. It's actually meant to be used without a bridle - the company that makes them is called "Stark Naked Bits" (DON'T GOOGLE THAT, especially at work, they're only on Facebook).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.