The Horse Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!

I really do not know anything about horses/riding, and I have come and joined this site in the hopes of finding advice. I inherited a saddle and I know very little about it. From what I have been able to research, it is a Stubben Siegfried, and is old enough to not have a serial number (that I could find). I know virtually nothing about this saddle; its dimensions or value or age. I'm not sure if its something worth trying to sell, and if so I don't know how, but to me it seems rather worn, and perhaps not useful. If anyone knows anything about the saddle or if it is worth selling/alternative things to do with it, I would be immensely grateful. Thank you all so much for your time!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,366 Posts
Some people really like the Stubben Siegfreid.

I can't tell what the padding on the underside is like. I'd ask a local riding barn or tack shop. It may be in decent shape for riding and they can tell you what size it is. Or it may get interest as a decoration.

Stubben stopped making that model in the last year or so. It used to be very popular.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Considering the saddle is rideable with no tears or anything that would make it dangerous, I think you should try to sell it. Depending on where you live, a saddle, regardless of brand would bring you something and it's better than it just sitting around. Stubben is a good brand. It would be a good idea to talk to a local saddle or tack shop and see if they have any ideas on price. If not you can always list it higher and reduce the price. I'd clean it up first.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I have a Stubben. It is a good brand. My saddle is approximately 40 years old now and I suspect yours is a bit older than mine. It looks like it is still useable (this comment made without the benefit of a hands on inspection, of course). In very general terms, those saddles tended to be a better fit for a narrower horse. By that I mean a thoroughbred who is not as widely built as a quarter horse, for example.

It does need a good cleaning as mentioned by other posters. Cleaning a saddle is a bit of an acquired skill and the right cleaning products need to be used or it is detrimental to the leather. A google search will be helpful in that regard both for obtaining the cleaner and how to clean. A clean saddle will command a little better price.

Price on the saddle is a guess but most likely you are looking at low hundreds for it if it is useable. It is affected by demand. Demand for that type of saddle may be low in your area (eg if your in cowboy country western saddles are more favoured) which will affect dollar value or, if you’re lucky there is interest in it and you might get a bit more — either way you can check out sale ads to see what is selling where you are.

Good luck with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts