The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay All, I am looking for some input into a possible purchase of a new gelding. He is EVERYTHING I have been looking for. Except we have ran into a hoof issue (White line). I have discussed the issue with the owner, and she says his final asking price is negotiable. I think I have decided what I would like to offer her for him. Would like input on whether it is 'acceptable'.

Background of horse:
He is a newly turned 4, 15.2 chestnut gelding. Registered appendix. Great grandson of Storm Cat (son of Giant's Causeway) and grandson of Frenchman's guy on dam's side. Has a personality of gold. Does not get "hot". Has consistently jumped up to 3'9. Shown up to Novice level in eventing. Placed 2nd at his latest event in May.

Due to his young age and his work history, I was hesitant about him at first. Due to the fact that his owner has 2 horses and can only financially support one, she was a very motivated seller. She offered him to me for $1,000. I gave her a $300 deposit, signed a "trial" contract and brought him to my barn for a PPE, etc.

Xrays of all legs were clean. Flexed a grade 0 after undergoing all flexion tests at the vet school. My vet was VERY thorough, and assured me the flexion tests and xrays showed no problems with legs, tendons, joints, etc.

Now his issue, severe white line the owner was unaware he had. I am facing 2-6 months rest on his behalf, which in all honestly my vet was recommending he get a few months off anyways if I bought him due to the fact he is still very obviously growing.

I honestly like this horse, and because I already have him at my barn I feel like it gives me an "advantage" when negotiating his final for sale price in light of this recent issue. When I contacted the owner with the news he had WLD, she asked me the severity and then told me if I was willing to deal with the issue his final price was negotiable. I told her I would wait until my appointment with my vet and farrier (6 pm tomorrow) before I called her with an offer.

Now my dilemma. I know I will NOT pay even $1,000 for a horse I cannot ride after buying, and who I immediately need to sink more money into. I do feel like he is worth the investment of time and money however for care as he has AMAZING potential as an eventing prospect. He is one I believe could go far.

I am wanting to offer her $500-$600 and ask that she throw in his boots and leather halter that came on trial with him. She also sent along his bridle with french link snaffle because she insisted he be rode in only that while on trial. I am willing to send bridle and bit back to her however. Honestly, I would send all of his equipment back to her if she desires, but I would probably only pay $400-$500 in that case.

Is that a reasonable offer? Or am I a horrible human being? I dont want to take advantage of the seller just because there is something wrong with him, but at the same time I do not want to pay a large amount for a horse with this issue. Thanks for the input. Interested in all opinions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,863 Posts
In my opinion if you paid a deposit and took him on trial that was an agreement on the final purchase price. The time to negotiate is prior to paying a deposit and prior to a trial.

However, now that there is a temporary unsoundness issue that will take a minimum of two months to resolve which obviously changes things

I guess to me offering half of the asking price is a bit insulting. The seller has gone above and beyond what most sellers would - agreeing to a trial and letting the horse go to your barn, and letting you have use of boots, a halter and bridle. The value of a trial alone, to me, would be worth hundreds. Add to that you say this horse has a lot of potential, and if that is true he's probably worth more than the $1000.

I think the lowest I would offer considering the agreed purchase price, the fact you were offered a trial and the use of gear would be $600, and if the tack were worth a lot, I wouldn't ask for that.

If you were buying the horse without trial you could offer $400 or so, but it is my opinion that in these circumstances that wouldn't be right.

Just my two cents though :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
If it was me, I would be upfront and ask the seller what they think is a fair reduction in price. The seller seems to have bent over backwards in letting you have the horse on trial etc. which to me means they are fair minded. No matter what they counteroffer, you seem to feel this horse is worth waiting for until he is sound, so why quibble over what (in the greater scheme of things) is a minor cost savings?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,723 Posts
So you have a calm horse, great personality, sounds nicely trained and doing decent in some shows/eventing, and is everything you want, and you think $1000 is too much? Horse market is in the dumps, but its not THAT in the dumps for a trained show horse. If it was me, the price you are offering (about 50% of original agreed upon price) would be insulting - especially with the requested tack.

I would find out what your vet and farrier say about the issue. If it is something that is cureable in a couple months time - then take $200 off the price for the inconvenience of rehab time OR request the tack to come with and $100 off price. If its not fully cureable or there is a high chance of it not being cureable - just walk away from the deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
I think $1000 is reasonable for a horse of that quality, hoof issues including. Usually you would see a horse upwards of $3k so I think $1000 is reasonable. Providing that the hoof issue checks out as something that minor that will only require a few months off as indicated I would be asking for the tack to be thrown in for the inconvenience but paying the $1000 as agreed upon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
479 Posts
I'm assuming you mean $500 to $600 including the $300 deposit, not on top of that, correct?

For a horse like that I don't think $1000 is unreasonable, but if that's what she was asking for in the first place I do think you deserve a reduction do to the WLD.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In my opinion if you paid a deposit and took him on trial that was an agreement on the final purchase price. The time to negotiate is prior to paying a deposit and prior to a trial.

However, now that there is a temporary unsoundness issue that will take a minimum of two months to resolve which obviously changes things

I guess to me offering half of the asking price is a bit insulting. The seller has gone above and beyond what most sellers would - agreeing to a trial and letting the horse go to your barn, and letting you have use of boots, a halter and bridle. The value of a trial alone, to me, would be worth hundreds. Add to that you say this horse has a lot of potential, and if that is true he's probably worth more than the $1000.

I think the lowest I would offer considering the agreed purchase price, the fact you were offered a trial and the use of gear would be $600, and if the tack were worth a lot, I wouldn't ask for that.

If you were buying the horse without trial you could offer $400 or so, but it is my opinion that in these circumstances that wouldn't be right.

Just my two cents though :)

I agree with my deposit being an agreement to his original asking price. When I contacted her about his issue it was simply to inform her of the situation and let her know I wanted to discuss with my farrier and vet exactly what I was facing before I made my final decision. She then responded with "If you decide to deal with it, his price is VERY negotiable".

Before the foot issue, I had no problem paying 1,000. He is very green, and needs some weight and some lessons in manners, but with the right training he will be great.

I think my plan of action will be to simply discuss situation with vet and farrier, and If I decide I want to commit to the care I will just ask his owner what she considers a fair offer. If I agree, I will pay the rest and he will stay.

OH and as far as asking half off his original price-- I was including 400-500 PLUS my original 300 dollar deposit. I should have clarified that. I would be fine with even paying 900 if that is what she requests. I know she does not want to deal with his issue. He will need hoof resections on at least both fronts, waiting to hear what vet tells me today about backs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,473 Posts
IMO I would pass on him strictly because he's JUST turned four and is consistently jumping 3'9... Soundness issues aside that is, IMO, a good way to sour a horse fast as they get older.

That said, I don't thing 500 + the deposit is unfair, if you're really wanting to go this route.
Posted via Mobile Device
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
Imo $1000 sounds like an absolute steal for a horse like this. I agree that I would be most concerned about the fact that he is *just* turned 4 and already been jumped extensively, and consistently jumping 3'9". That is a LOT of pounding on young joints that are not fully developed yet.

I don't think it would be unreasonable to offer a couple hundred bucks less, if you really like the horse, obviously you will be having some extra vet and farrier bills to compensate for if you do buy him. I think giving him some time off to grow up more is an extremely wise idea, WLD or no WLD. If he truly has potential to go far, you will definitely want to go slow and take your time and do things right the first time with him. And hopefully there will be no lasting damage from all this work while he is young.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49,341 Posts
Even with hoof issues (that are eminantly curable) a $1000 dollars for a horse of such breeding and temperament would be a steal here. If I owned that horse, and you offered me something like $500, I'd show you off the property and never speak to you again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,161 Posts
Lots of people don't know their horse has WLD if their farrier didn't know & tell them.
I've seen some bad cases where the disease was resected out & sometimes a bondo type stuff was put over it. Milder cases were treated twice daily & had trimming every 3 weeks so the medication could get up there. I don't recall the horses ever being unridable, though nothing extreme.
No matter what the hoof has to grow out.

The price seems reasonable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
The WLD wouldn't put me off one bit and if the vet and farrier think it isn't a very bad case and will soon come right then I would probably only try to knock a couple of hundred off what she is asking.

However, whatever the xrays and flexion tests are saying right now...a horse of that age that has been consistently jumped at that height would not even warrant a phone call from me. The damage that is very probably done might not show up for a year or two yet on xrays or during work, but I bet anything it will not very far down the line before the effect is seen.....walk away.:wink:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all for the opinions. Appreciate them ALL.

Again just wanted to say I was never wanting to suggest I take him for a measly $500! I was saying $500 plus by initial 300 deposit. So 800 bucks.

I have decided he will stay, future joint gamble and all. If he doesnt make an eventer because of his history, he will make a GREAT trail horse and companion. I love his personality. I am going to proceed with the initial $1000. If she wants to offer him for less, that is her choice/decision.

As far as 1,000 being a steal on him- his potential does make it an incredibly good investment but he is still pretty green under saddle. The fact that he managed to place 2nd at an event kind of mystifies me. He has no leg cues, no lateral movements and needs a lot of work on the flat with bending, working in a correct frame, etc. Also, the area I am in is lower priced for most horses in eventing, because there are not a lot of shows too close to us so the market is not really here. I am sure in other parts of the county 1,000 WOULD be a steal, and while I consider it a pretty dang fair deal...it is not extraordinary down here in my area. In our market, horses like him go for that. My friend just recently got a finished 10 year old TB who has shown up to training level (and done well) for 3k. In other places, that horse might go for 7k+.

Thanks again for the input. Being able to talk it out helps me make final decisions. Appreciate it as always HF friends :)
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top