The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what's everyone's riding instructors favorite thing to say? mine is probably "That was really good until it sucked!!!" haha it always makes me laugh. :)

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
Mine takes randomlyrics out of songs. Don't ask. You do something right and she goes "Well brown chicken, brown cow! Fabulous!" or "Ha ha!! Tik tok, on the clock! Nice time!"

And of course the more "Drill sergeanty" part of her. "That was a great right haunch turn. Now try it on your other right." or "I liked the part where you stopped. THe rest sucked." xD

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
LOL, don't really have an instructor, but my Dad always says "Tape an aspirin to it, you'll be fine" whenever I hurt myself or get bucked off.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Haha one of my old instructors had the motto " perfect practice makes perfect" and another always said "well okay!" in a kind of funny sarcasticy tone when we messed up.. I'm sure I'll remeber more a soon as I post this
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
448 Posts
LOL! my old jumping instructor (when I took jumping lesson) also said "perfect practice makes perfect".
But My dad always use to say to me when he was teaching me to ride "get on and ride" and "if you fall off get right back on and ride some more" LOL! or my favorite one was when I was in pain from all the working out on my horse, my dad would always say "Deal with it" :) I love my dad! :)

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
haha I love the things my instructor says
him-"Cass, the horse will stop."
me-"Are you sure?"
him- "I don't know but just to be sure you should probably sit back"

today my friend was coaching me on her horse. I was never taught to "sit deep" at my old barn so I'm relearning a few things and my friend is helping me. I was having problems sitting deep and if I don't sit deep on her horse he was gonna turn and I was gonna fly out of the saddle. While running to the first barrel she was like

"Act like your @$$ weighs 50lbs!"

I blew the turn because I was laughing so hard haha.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Subscribing.. Instructors are hilarious. Mine used to say some funny stuff. Will have to try to remember.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
haha some of these are good wish i had something to add but my instructor is more visual so she will normally do something funny rather then say something funny. I'll have to listen some more and see if I pick something up hehe.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
one trainer i ride with thinks hes super funny, haha he is pretty ridiculous !

he says stuff like 'now we're cookin with wesson oil'

he sings that song that goes 'to the left, to the left' when he wants someone to turn left.

he says 'practice makes permemant'

and he always makes up ridiculous names for the horses !

·
Registered
803 Posts
My instructor had a few catch phrases

Sit on your pockets

Nope, nope, you just threw her away!

Six of one and half a dozen of the other

Well come on cowgirl!

Stick the girls out!

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
The funniest trainer moment for me was as a young teenager, working in the warm up pen before a class with my reining coach. He was drilling me on the pattern. Imagine big, tough looking cowboy that talks real low & slow like Sam Elliott. He puts his hands on his hips and in a girlie falsetto voice, does this ballet hop thing and says "Small slow, Big fast, swiiiiitch" When he got to the switch part he was doing ballet leaps to the other foot. Never forgot that pattern! Still tease him about it 15+ years later when I see him!

Some things I catch myself saying a lot...

Your horse has to follow his nose, keep him between the reins & point him there.

I charge double for running over your instructor.

Can't turn your car without gas can you? Now use that outside leg!

It takes a hundred times to get something down, 99 more to go!

Use that magic word! WHOA!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
he sings that song that goes 'to the left, to the left' when he wants someone to turn left.

Hahaha...my instructor sings that song too.

His favorite thing to say is..."Again!" When we're jumping.

We just recently went to a clinic and the teacher kept saying "tidy". So now the new phrase my instructor says is, "tidy"

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
for some reason i can't think of anything else my instructor says.... i'll get some Sunday when i have my lesson.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
My instructor's known for telling everyone to "Grow a pair."

·
Registered
99 Posts
My mom (who trains) always says "Falling off is the funnest part of riding, its only hitting the ground that sucks." It cracks me up.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I can't say what my trainer is typically says to me. It's not very appropriate for the forums, lol. Its what I get for a trainer thats also my roommate/best friend she doesn't coddle my feelings. If I can think of anything that is more appropriate, I'll post it later. xP

·
Registered
805 Posts
My old trainer used to say, "You're the best horse ever!" to every horse he met.

·
Registered
203 Posts
haha my instructer has a few that make me giggle.
if we do something wrong....."Darn kids"
if we are going to fast at the canter...."Think Sleepy Thoughts!"
If we have our fingers loose on the reins....."I have pom poms and I'm not afraid to use them!"

·
Registered
780 Posts
Haha, great topic! I have a ton of phrases I hear pretty much daily.

"Look in the mirrors!"

"Don't look down! You don't need to know what color your horse's mane is."

"Shoulders way back! Chest open!"

"Fix your foot in the stirrup."

"Toes ahead!"

"Make it feel weird!"

"Close your fingers on the reins. Make a fist like you're going to punch someone." (or "Like you're holding hundred dollar bills.")

"Thumbs on top."

"Look where you're going."

"Bend your elbows."

"Move the bit over his tongue."

"Prevent, prevent, prevent!"

"Pull release, pull release. Never steady pulling."

"Don't cross your hand over the midline of his body."

"HALFHALT!"

"Outside rein, outside leg. Kick."

"More transitions! I've never told anyone "hey, I think you're doing too many transitions.""

"Do you know what I'm going to tell you?" (I'm getting to the point where I start doing whatever my trainers say before they actually say it.)

"No head wagging!"

"Heel down when you use your leg."

And of course the ultimate, most used phrase: "Rounder!"

1 - 20 of 31 Posts