The Horse Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
5,892 Posts
After catching a rotten case of the 'but but buts...' when I was riding in a lesson once, my instructor shouted at me "Quit making excuses for that damned horse and ride". And I did.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
"You don't look fat in those breeches yet" She would say this to make us lean back inour canter as if we were going to look down and ask "Do I look fat in these breeches?" Works every time ;)

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have many wonderful memories of my wonderful instructor, who sadly passed away back in 2009 after a long battle with pancreatic cancer. She was the woman who taught me to ride and after leaving for a couple of years I came back with my own horse. When I first brought Chance over to her stables and started lessons I was, for some twelve year old reason, terrified of actually gripping the reins. I think I was afraid that I was going to hurt his mouth o_O Needless to say my instructors favorite thing to say was

"You have to actually hold on to those reins! You are NOT at a tea party!"

I still remember that to this day. Oh and in case you were wondering, I did get over the fear of holding too tight to the reins ;)

·
Registered
341 Posts
i haven't had an instructor for about 2 years but my old one always made me laugh. She was about 60 and a dressage fanatic, and used to demonstrate how to do movements by pretending to be a horse herself. Needless to say her flying changes and leg yields were funny to watch. She would always finish with a flourish by bowing and saying 'That was me with my fabulous Grand Prix horse George'.

And I always found it funny how the ponies, especially with less inexperienced people on their backs, would respond so much to her voice. Who needs aids when your instructor can roll her r's and say 'And.. trrrrrrot!' :D

·
Registered
644 Posts
'your horses head is still there so stop looking at it. I will tell you when it disappears'
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
18 Posts
"pas mal" (not bad) or "pas bon" (not good) is about all my yard owner would say as feedback when he does give me a quick lesson. Mostly he would just make fun of me and chase me around the arena with jump poles :) lol.

·
Banned
6 Posts
If you have forum then you need a trainer and manager of your horses on permanent basis.That person can manage your horses better than you.Do not take risk to hire a non professional person .

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you have forum then you need a trainer and manager of your horses on permanent basis.That person can manage your horses better than you.Do not take risk to hire a non professional person .

·
Registered
51 Posts
My trainer always calls my horse "The Freight Train" or "The Big Mac Truck". At one of my shows she said "You guys looked fabulous! He got a little fast and scared the spectators...but all in all impressive!" lol:)

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
Some of my favorite things to say

The tenser your horse gets, the SOFTER you ride

A transition is only as good as the preparation you put into it.

If you go into that jump ugly, you will come out of that jump TWICE as ugly

21 - 31 of 31 Posts