The Horse Forum banner

Interesting this fall horses aren't growing as much hair ?

786 Views 25 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  QtrBel
I'm seeing almost all the horses in our barn not needing clipping this fall. It's weird ...I wonder if the late fall temps have altered horse hair growth --- though I know it has to do with the daylight hours!
My guy came with a heavy coat in March 2021 so this is the 2nd winter I've had him. Last year I had to clip, but not so far this year! We are in the pacific northwest. Had a fabulous (late) summer and fall up until a couple weeks ago.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Super Moderator
17,182 Posts
Mine are still sporting summer coats. I expected with the first cold snap and shorter days they'd at least start fluffing up. My palomino is usually creamy white by this time with a coat that is some years thicker than others. Not this year. I'm expecting with this snap that I should start seeing some growth as it will hang around and the nights in the 70s should be over.

· Registered
1,403 Posts
My neighbors horses have had to have blankets on their horses even in the 50°s because they don’t have a winter coat. My horses don’t have much of a coat either but they have some fluff, last year my gelding barley had a winter coat and this year he has more.. it’s been 78°+ everyday, but a cold front came in so the high is in the 40°s-50°s…but my horses are definitely healthier and plumper than my neighbors so I guess that could play a roll.

· Super Moderator
11,159 Posts
Both of ours are fluffy. Even my TB who didn't put on much of a coat on Wyoming with only brush for shelter. The Morgan, too.

The quality of hay here is less than what I fed in Wyoming. I wonder if our horses metabolisms are responding to that?

· Premium Member
10,719 Posts
I think it must depend on where you live. Mine are very thick and fluffy, and have been for about a month. That was really unpleasant when we got unseasonably warm weather - like walking around with a fur coat in July for them. But the weather just turned here, and I'm glad they're well protected. We may get snow tonight. It's raining and very raw out there.

· Super Moderator
17,182 Posts
@4horses is likely same latitude as I am or further south. That makes me wonder about nutritional differences and weight.

Reactions: boots

· Registered
2,029 Posts
All sorts of coats here: average, thick, furry and double coated. They've been coming in since late summer.

Some are clipped but the rest are ready for anything. Our above average temperatures lasted a week so they weren't too uncomfortable.

· Registered
3,986 Posts
One of mine is in full winter regalia which is fine but the other two not so much which is worrying as we’re cold right now (-10/-15 Celsius or something like not that much above zero in Fahrenheit). I’ve been putting them in the barn overnight (which is unusual for this time of year) and they’re happy to be in.

· Registered
1,259 Posts
Romeo fluffs the instant the sun starts looking a bit wan; Jasper grows more steadily but sheds and fluffs pretty in time with fluctuating temps. His coat is thicker; I suspect by the end of this week if not sooner it'll be much fluffier. My trainer's actual horse has gotten a thick coat already, and she finds him a reliable predictor of winter weather.

The woman who leases Romeo apparently bought him a blanket - which she was told he almost certainly will not use, as he grows a coat you could smuggle contraband in.

· Registered
13,106 Posts
Southern Middle Tennessee here.

TWH Rusty started his winter coat a few weeks late but he’s got a good layer on him now. His nether hair growth is par for this time of year — I’ve clipped it back already🤢

I was worried how Dutch Warmblood Duncan who lived his entire 26 in Southern California would fur up and how he would manage the “cold” in Tennessee. He furred up beautifully with a short very thick coat, similar to the way Joker (RIP) furred up.

It was a windy 30-something Saturday and a quiet 27(F) this morning. He’s been out there happily buckin’ up trying to get Rusty to play— Rusty never plays, lol.

I am ecstatic both of my seniors have ample fur. Rusty is normal for this time of year. Duncan has exceeded my “fur growing” expectations considering where he used to live and he is plenty comfortable.

Reactions: gottatrot

· Registered
3,511 Posts
Cinder has his winter coat shorter an less of it this year. Ice has some winter coat it's a bit longer then his summer coat but very thin.

Certainly wont protect him from our northern MN winter subzero cold. Right now high teens for low high 20s for highs. Ground is starting to freeze up have a dusting of snow after 2 days of pouring rain.

· Super Moderator
18,549 Posts
My horses in Florida are all fluffy. Even the one I body clipped a month ago... I had hoped to clip them today but we finally got a cold front. My young colt has enough hair right now to survive a snowstorm.
Me too...fuzzy and downy soft mine are.
Their coats are very deceiving cause they don't look thick but touch them and your hand sinks into that thick and fluffy undercoat.
My paint looks so sleek from a distance as does our gray senior citizen.

Mother Nature is telling some of us to be prepared.....be forewarned and do right by the animals for their comfort.
🐴...

· Registered
609 Posts
My buckskin her first winter she was a wooly mammoth as a yearling but since then she has not grown much of a coat at all. She did originate from Oklahoma and our winters don't really get 'cold' here.I think I am freezing below 60 lol but that is just me being raised in a desert climate that only sees snow once every 10 years. Our lows for the next two months don't go below 30 and we are in the mid to low 60s during the day. It did drop quicker this year than usual but my buckskin is still holding out and yes she shivers if the wind picks up at night -_- so she gets blanketed with a lightweight sheet. The old red mare started popping a coat back in October, not a lot but some fluff and my younger red filly has mostly a summer coat as well. She does sweat like its 100 out every ride so I am blanketing her as well with the plan to probably clip her here soon.
However essentially, the two I have had for a few years are right on par with their normal coats this time of year.

· Super Moderator
17,182 Posts
Goat hairs can be a sign of metabolic issues.

After three wet, windy, chilly days and cold still nights we've achieved some floof, poof and whitening.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts