The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a saddle that I got recently and I love it, and it has very interesting rigging. It might would bother some, not being able to do the 7/4/11 knot, but I like that the latigo lays flat against it, instead of being on something rounded— I feel it helps keep things still when I’m cinching up, and that it looks and feels neater. But I was wondering if anyone knew what this rigging style is called, and if anyone knows more about it. The saddle was made by Valley Head Saddlery according to the store I bought it from which is The Cowboy Shop in Roopville, GA.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
It's called an in skirt rigging. Used a lot in performance style saddles for the reason you mentioned, less bulk and less likely to get stirrup leathers hung up on the latigo.

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's called an in skirt rigging. Used a lot in performance style saddles for the reason you mentioned, less bulk and less likely to get stirrup leathers hung up on the latigo.
Just curious, is there a word for the little flap that comes down and covers the front rigging?

·
Premium Member
13,088 Posts
Don't know what it is called, but it prevents the fender from catching on the rigging. I had to modify my Abetta to get the same effect:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Like others said it’s in skirt rigging. Honestly even in saddles where I don’t have in skirt rigging I still never tie a not. I trust my girth more than I trust my Texas t knot tying skills plus it is way less bulk. I don’t even think I know anyone anymore that ties their latigo lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Like others said it’s in skirt rigging. Honestly even in saddles where I don’t have in skirt rigging I still never tie a not. I trust my girth more than I trust my Texas t knot tying skills plus it is way less bulk. I don’t even think I know anyone anymore that ties their latigo lol
I only tie my latigo during my lessons because “it could come undone if you don’t”😒 when My trainer isn’t around I don’t do it

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I only tie my latigo during my lessons because “it could come undone if you don’t”😒 when My trainer isn’t around I don’t do it
Lol, I have never once in my time of using one had it come undone. What does she think English riders do?

·
Premium Member
13,088 Posts
I've had one pop off. Unlike an English girth, a western latigo often has the excess brought up instead of hanging down. I prefer a nylon latigo tied because it is infinitely adjustable and the nylon makes for less bulk but it is just a personal preference:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts