Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! :gallop:

We never know what can happen in our lives, same as i did not know that i would ever move permanently to the USA.
I own 9 years old show jumper, super sweet warm-blood gelding. I purchased him 6 years ago after loss of my first mare with promise - i will never ever sell him, that i am his brick wall, his support, his mama. Here i am, already year without his soft nose living my life in the states and putting money away for his big travel from the Europe to the USA.
I did tons of research, got couple quotes and stopped on HORSES2FLY company who offered me THE BEST rate (really good to be true), with arranged transportation from my actual country to the Amsterdam (which is 20 hrs), with day rest in company's barn, with transport from their barn to the airport, air fare, quarantine and transport from airport to Pennsylvania which is my and going to be his new forever home.

Question - have anyone heard anything abut this company? Dealt with this company?

I did little research, but only thing i can find is few facebook reviews. On the other hand, if they would not be legit, wouldn't full web would be with screams that it is scam? I mean, people are paying big money for this, between $6-15k, if people would be scammed, i assume i would find lots of negative info.

Question for those who has experience in international horse transport - any good tips?

I heard from my friend who did this once (unfortunately to California so company she used would not fit me) that extra halter is a must, no transportation boots as it is just annoying horses more than usual, also she mentioned that her horse was better on the plane than in road transportation :D More electrolytes before and after trip.

Any input would be great!

·
Administrator
36,041 Posts
I'm not sure what counts as 'too good to be true'
I used a company called IRT (which I think stands for International Racehorse Transport though they don't just deal with racehorses!!) to move our 3 horses from the UK to New England
They were recommended to us by the British Horse Society.
They were excellent, I can't fault them at all. They've been in business for something like 40 years
It cost us in the region of £5K per horse ten years ago (exchange rate was different then so not worth me putting it into $'s) but I can't remember if that included the quarantine costs - 3 mares so a months quarantine

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I don't have any experience with flying horses, but I'm really hoping that everything works out well! Your horse must really miss you!

Please keep us updated!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
''good to be true'' counts as, for example 8 out of 10 companies set up quote on $9500, other two were on 20% cheaper. Cheaper transport from my country to Netherlands, little bit cheaper flight.

See, it depends where your horse starts travel from, mine from Northern Europe. My country does not have company who can arrange whole specter of transport from point A to B, so i was looking into Netherlands company, with offered barn to rest before flight and this was on the cheaper side. They have contract with other transport companies who would pick up my boy from my country and take it to their barn as well as contract with company here who would pick up him after 3 day quarantine and deliver home.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have any experience with flying horses, but I'm really hoping that everything works out well! Your horse must really miss you!

Please keep us updated!
I definitely will! Thank you, i am horribly nervous, as i miss my boy for sure. I will see him in September and that is when i would like to already organize all papers for him to travel in october :pinkunicorn:

·
Administrator
36,041 Posts
Our horses had to travel by road from the UK to the Netherlands by ferry over the water, stabling while they wait for the flight and then loaded and then direct to New York - that journey to the Netherlands ups the cost because they charge for the transport, handling time and a driver and groom plus extra hay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.