The Horse Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to introduce Maverick, a 7 month old buckskin Arabian/Paint colt. He's from a PMU farm in Ontario. I had been thinking about breeding my Arabian mare to produce my next riding horse in a couple of years, but this guy came a long and I couldn't pass him up. He's built like a tank. They know sire was 16.1 and dam was 15.3.

After being weaned he was thrown out in a herd with a bunch of other weanlings, so did not have much human contact during his first months of life. He's nervous, but has a good mind and is naturally curious. After only having him for three days I already have him leading and can touch about half of his body from his head back to just past his withers. We're taking it slow and I'm hoping to produce a good minded, well rounded horse. His curiosity for everything around him should make him a great trail/endurance/obstacle horse.

This should be a fun journey for me. He is the first horse I'll have worked with from so young.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
I think that you'll enjoy the experience. =D
Just plan on taking 2x as much time to teach EVERYTHING, and don't move on until he has mastered a skill. I think others who break in will agree that everyday contact is essential, but give him breaks from training to grow up mentally.
IF you have a seasoned veteran in your herd, pair him with the older totally broken in horse to learn how to behave. This is what the US Cavalry did, green + broke, to rapidly make their military horses, and our seasoned herd leader, "Tyke", (1970-1998, RIP) gave ALL of the others in the herd confidence as I trained them.
If I ever get an Arabian colt, I will put him with my 15yo mare. She's had 4 foals and will put up with NO nonsense, but she can take a kick that will put ME in the hospital.

·
Registered
49,765 Posts
i didn't know they were still doing the PMU stuff. I thought it was now being made by synthetics. the hormones, that is.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i didn't know they were still doing the PMU stuff. I thought it was now being made by synthetics. the hormones, that is.
There's still farms in Canada producing. Maybe a few still in US too. I thought they had proven that Premarin and others still made from mare **** caused cancer, but it's still being produced.

Corporal said:
I think that you'll enjoy the experience. =D
Just plan on taking 2x as much time to teach EVERYTHING, and don't move on until he has mastered a skill. I think others who break in will agree that everyday contact is essential, but give him breaks from training to grow up mentally.
IF you have a seasoned veteran in your herd, pair him with the older totally broken in horse to learn how to behave. This is what the US Cavalry did, green + broke, to rapidly make their military horses, and our seasoned herd leader, "Tyke", (1970-1998, RIP) gave ALL of the others in the herd confidence as I trained them.
If I ever get an Arabian colt, I will put him with my 15yo mare. She's had 4 foals and will put up with NO nonsense, but she can take a kick that will put ME in the hospital.

He's currently out with one of our older mares who's teaching him the ropes. As far as I know she's never had a foal, but she won't take his crap. Firm, but fair. Once I know I can catch him easier he will go out with our herd of 5.

Once we've worked on leading a bit more I'll also be ponying him out on trail so he can see the world.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
He's cute! :D

Bless you for taking on a foal already on the ground who needed a home, instead of breeding.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I agree with Red Gate Farm: Good job for giving a home to a foal in need instead of breeding. Your baby looks adorable... Very pretty color! I hope you have great success with him.

Reactions: Boo Walker

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maverick got to hang out with the rest of the herd for a bit recently. Everyone gets a long except for the older gelding who was at the bottom of the herd is trying to bully him and gain some standing. Unfortunately for the older guy all of the mares and our "herd boss" gelding are protecting Maverick.

I was also able to get a blanket on him for the first time. Took maybe 20 minutes to desensitize and get it on him. And he also had his first experience with hoof trimming. No issues at all. Everyday I am impressed by the brain in this little guy.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts