The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im sick of the crazy weather in ny, normally were i live there is snow on the ground, but its been like 50's than down to 20's and so on...its so crazzy....my horse started to colic and im thinkin the answer is because of this weather, b/c she has no history of colicing, she fed on a regular schedule, she riden regularly, she got water 24/7..but shes got a very heavy winter coat already and im curious as to what you guys are thinkin' shes a 7yr old paint..

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
What is your routine before putting her back in her stall (if she is stalled) after a work out? Do you work her into a sweat and heat her up, then just put her back and feed her? How about letting her roll or drink water after being worked? Is she stressed in her stall? Does she shiver in the cold weather?

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Weather "could" be a factor in your mare's colic episode, but there are so many factors that can cause a horse to colic, including improper cool down, not enough room to move after eating a meal, ulcers, etc... I think you need to have your mare thoroughly examined by your veterinarian, especially if she's never experienced a colic before.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I had a slight weather colic the other night. This is definitely the right weather to do it to them. But I agree, check with your vet.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when she was outside she ran around and she wasnt even breaking a sweeat, i walked her around untill she wasnt breathing hard, and brought her into the barn and put her into the cross ties and grommed her and picked her hooves ect..and she was acting funny in the cross ties, and as soon as i put her in the stall she begun to roll, well she is fine now, couldnt find any health problems with her, they figured it was the weather, b/c there has been strange colics around here w/ the weathers crazyness

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.