The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow horse lovers!
So Arizona (Horse) has been having issues under saddle recently and it turn out that it was from an improper saddle fit. The saddle I was using was given to me from the barn he is at and none of the other saddles there fit him. I’ve been riding bareback with a bareback pad but it’s not a good quality one and it always slips back. I’m wondering if I got the comfort plus bareback pad by best friends (Comfort Plus Bareback Pad By Best Friend) if I could use that as a saddle? I don’t ride to often, once or twice a week and I don’t do anything crazy just some small jumps sometimes. I would like to eventually get a saddle fitter out and maybe a schleese saddle but being 15 I can’t afford that or really any saddle yet. Would it be okay to ride bareback until I would be able to get a saddle?
Thanks!

·
Banned
228 Posts
Hello fellow horse lovers!
So Arizona (Horse) has been having issues under saddle recently and it turn out that it was from an improper saddle fit. The saddle I was using was given to me from the barn he is at and none of the other saddles there fit him. I’ve been riding bareback with a bareback pad but it’s not a good quality one and it always slips back. I’m wondering if I got the comfort plus bareback pad by best friends (Comfort Plus Bareback Pad By Best Friend) if I could use that as a saddle? I don’t ride to often, once or twice a week and I don’t do anything crazy just some small jumps sometimes. I would like to eventually get a saddle fitter out and maybe a schleese saddle but being 15 I can’t afford that or really any saddle yet. Would it be okay to ride bareback until I would be able to get a saddle?
Thanks!
I don’t think it’s bad. I’ve been riding my new horse plain bareback for 1-3 hours per day since I got him with no bad affect. I’ve had him...two weeks now?

Just take it slow. Be careful not to use your reins for support, and try to not flop all over. A good seat is important for both yours and your horses comfort. Bouncing is uncomfortable for both parties involved.

I’ve just ordered the best friends western style bareback pad, and I’ve heard that style is great as well.

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
I have done some hard trail riding, much of my life, without a saddle or a bareback pad. I don’t like bareback pads because they do slide.

And yes, as @Nubs commented, “don’t ride the head” with the reins:)

As long as you have your seat balance, relegate a pair of jeans, leggins, or other pant apparel to riding without a saddle and know that you will no doubt completely ruin them over time:)

if you board, carry a clean change of pants with you, so you don’t get horse sweat on the seat of your car:)

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
I don't think it's necessarily bad, although treed saddles do give more support.

But I use a good bareback pad, it's super comfortable, & I swear by it.
The Barefoot Physio bareback pad. It has a V girthing system too, so it's not putting pressure on certain areas like other bareback pads do. It also comes with shims (you can buy other shims as well if more support is needed). I love it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts