The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your barn was totaly nasty and the paddocks (turnouts as well as run outs for stalls) had mud where the horse sank to their knees and were living in stalls that some times hadnt been cleaned in 3 days. Not to mention the buckets are never scrubbed out. Is that just neglecting your barn or the horses also?

I know mud if constantly in can cause hoof problems not to mention their skin from being wet all the time.
They also cant get sick from drinking water from buckets that havent been cleaned in a week but its sick when u can just wipe your finger on the bottom and get loads of gunk :X

Im also wondering is it a form of abuse to feed your horse a huge diet but dont ever work it. So it just sits and gets fat, cant that cause problem as well?

What do you guys think? Poor living conditions for your horse equal neglect?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
YES. If my horse was kept in those conditions I would be moving him out immediately and taking down evidence of neglect. If anything, it is horse neglect first and barn second. Planks can be replaced, water buckets can be scrubbed, but it will take a little more to get rid of a nasty hoof abscess or a hazardous digestive system sickness. Also, when horses are kept in their own waste they start to inhale the methane and ammonia and they weaken. Horses that are over-fed can stress out their joints, endanger their heart health, and founder. Absolutely, such living conditions are unacceptable.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh good someone agrees with me!!! Im going to get pictures of this place..The knee deep horses and the ponds in their paddocks. Ill get pics of the stalls to and then im reporting it to the Animal control.

I feel really bad for one horse because she never gets turned out. She just has a stall with a run.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Barn neglect is kind of the same as horse neglect. If the barn conditions are bad then it can cause trouble for your horse and the stalls not being cleaned is considered horse abuse. Imagine standing in your own waste for days, thats just nasty. It could also be unsafe for your horse if repairs aren't made to fences that are broke (if they won't clean stalls they will not fix repairs). I would want my horse at the cleanest facility possible and I have turned down many barns. I have seen one time a boarding facility neglecting its barn and horses and the boarders all got their horses taken away by the humane society.

I wouldn't feed my horse a huge diet. Its not abuse but it can cause foundering.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rissaxbmth- Ya your right cause a couple times horses would kick out the panels between the stalls and those would take days to get fixed. They are lucky a horse didnt get its leg caught.

So far a boarder is moving her horses out, YAY! And my horse isnt there. Im just waiting for the right time to quit or get fired. Only working there 2 days a week just waiting till i find a new job. But im busting the cap on this place. Ill post pics when I get them

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I consider it to be abusive but mud and dirty buckets probably won't do it for the the SPCA or animal control.. Usually access to water, well fed and no old festering wounds is good enough.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Is the mud really up to the horses knees? I know first hand how very, very, hard it is to control mud. Last summer was a horrible wet time and in attempts to try and save one pasture I kept them in the 2nd one until the other pasture was dry enough to grow grass. And man! it was muddy. And I would have kept them inside, but I would rather have happy healthy horses that get to go outside than two horses that are stabled 24/7.

To go as far as saying that feeding your horse alot and not working it is abuse, I don't know..

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya, the paddocks are really that deep. Really its hard to get the horses in and hard for them to even move around in there. Its either they are out there or in dark dirty stalls.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Well I do find it semi-hard to believe that the mud is /that/ deep. Though, mud isn't good to be standing in all the time, it is usually only harmful to horses that have shoes. But horses need to be turned out, I would find them staying in their stall all day us worse than going in a muddy pasture.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im pritty sure all their horses have shoes. After Gypsy went to her new barn the people who are leasing her told me Gypsy has thrush. I wasnt even able to turn her out as much as the BO's horses and I also cleaned my stall everyday. I wouldnt be suprised if most of the horses have thrush or worse.

I'll be able to post pics later on in the week.

·
Super Moderator
26,796 Posts
dirty stalls and nasty buckets yes... paddocks... I don't know. I clean the poop out of my paddocks daily in the summer but when winter comes I can't get the barrels in and then it gets so wet. My horses are living in a swamp land. I hope people don't think I neglect them. Their stalls and clean, buckets are scrubbed and food is fresh... paddocks are nasty.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
are the stalls open? we have open stalls and its impossible to keep them completely dry. we clean stalls twice a day but they still have wet inside stalls and the outsides are solid mud.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
If you work there what are you doing to fix it? Making it hard on the BO is going to result in some horses going to slaughter or to homes that may be worse. Mud won't hurt a horse and cleaning a stall every three days may not be ideal but it won't hurt it too bad either. I think your overexagerating things.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Roperchick-Half the barn has normal stalls then the other half has the stalls where the horses can go out to runs. The stalls dont get wet from rain or anything. So if their wet and nasty its cause of pee.

Kevinshorses- The barn owner is never there. I go in clean what im suppose to and then leave. I cant order new hogs fuel or fix fallen down boards cause she wont let us do that other wise I would. Were not aloud to do barn maintance its just our job to clean stalls.

And they have already put horses down for no "real" reason. For example a pony was put down cause they let it founder again, they put it back on grass after they knew he would founder. They didnt want to care for him and didnt list the horse for free. At that time i couldnt take him other wise i would of loved to that pony was awesome. And he was also coming back from his founder so i know with time he would of been better.
Just this past week they put another horse down that they recently took in. They never turned her out, unless an hour of arena time counts. She was older but still a good ride. No major problem like founder with her but now shes gone to. Im also afraid that their gonna put this other mare down. Id rather find a home then put horses down that are not in need to be shot.

If your going to ask why I dont list the horses. I did place adds for her before but she doesnt even call potential buyers back. Even if a boarder at the barn would like me to work a horse she ruines that for me in her eyes im only a stall cleaner.

Here is a page about how mud can cause problems for the hooves, either by weakening the inner wall,mud fever,thrush..ect.
Horse Mud Fever

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
If I understand correctly, you are a stall cleaner complaining about the condition of the stalls where you work? that sounds like a problem the barn owner would solve by getting better help. Putting down a horse that you can't afford to take care of or that has chronic problems is often far more humane than giving it away to a stranger. If you don't like working at the barn then quit but don't try to ruin someone elses livelyhood because it doesn't mesh well with your Pollyanna view of the world.

Reactions: Paintedponies1992

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, since I come in a few days a week to clean 4 stalls maybe 5 its my fault that the stalls are strip jobs? Or the next day I come in hers still havent been cleaned. Thats my fault?? And I am looking for a new job I was just asking the question if barn neglect is horse neglect also.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I guess my opinion is no, the way you're describing things doesn't seem like horse abuse or neglect. I'm also sure that the owners of the horses had a legitimate reason for putting the horses down, you just don't know the story behind it..

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I think pictures would help. How can people give an honest opinion with out them. I have seen horses taken away because they haven't had a dry area and dirty conditions.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
My horses drink out of stock troughs that are NEVER cleaned, it just isn't logistically possible. They have an inch thick layer of algae on the bottom, but if you elave it alone the algae sinks to the bottomand the water is crystal clear. If you try to clean them, it disturbs it and the water turns murky brown.

They are fine and have never gotten sick from it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.