The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a very short person 5'1 to be exact and im wondering if my shortness is part of my issue with keeping my leg in the right place?

when im jumping my stirrups are up a few holes my legs come up really high i almost look like a jockey, and it seems that i get in a chair seat. Ive tried moving my legs back where there suppose to be but then i cant keep my heels down!!

Then i look at taller riders 5'6.... and up and they can keep there heels down alot better. Just wondering if my shortness has an effect

i cant really find a good picture for an example.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hm, interesting question. I'm 5' and I also have a chairseat problem/or heels.

It makes sense that we would have a little more trouble since a taller rider's leg will wrap around the horse better - their knee is at the fattest part/bends after that. For shorter people, the widest part of the horse hits...somewhere around our calves probably. Which spreads us out and seems like it could be one of the causes of some of the issues.

But then, there are loads of amazing 4'10 riders and a lot of sucky heels up 6'2 riders too. I think every different body time is going to have its problems (like, I've heard a tall rider will have a harder time balancing over a jump because they'll want to tip) and our job as riders is to work around them.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
For me, I've found that its definitely a challenge finding a saddle that fits. I apparently spent years riding in a saddle that was too big for me, but it was what my trainer told me fit me, so I've been on the hunt for a saddle that fits me and my horse. I haven't really had an issue with keeping my leg in the proper position as a whole, my issue, partly I'm sure because the saddle was too big, was my lower leg swinging too much as I was trying to keep leg pressure on. I am also 5'1", and the funny thing is I feel MUCH more balanced on a big horse, than I do on a smaller horse. I currently own a 14.2 hand Arabian, who's actually got a decent build, not slab sided or skinny, she's actually got quite a wide back, but I feel so unbalanced on her for some reason.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you found a saddle that fits you alot better? id really like to know what it is lol

Well my horse is 17.0h and i dont think i look to small on him . i just need a better saddle, or better leg excersises so i can be able to jump right and ect.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found this

The criteria for determining the size of saddle the rider requires vary according to the type of saddle, and what the rider plans to do in it. In a Close-Contact, or Jumping saddle, I would say the most important factor is the length of the rider's thigh - from hip to knee - so that when the rider is sitting in the deepest part of the seat, with the stirrups at the shortest length the rider normally uses, the knee is correctly positioned behind the knee roll or block. Thus, a tall, thin girl could require a 17 1/2" saddle, while a short, heavier woman fits a 16 1/2" well.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
The brand of saddle also affects the fit. I'm 5'2" and have a 16.5" saddle and it's too big for me but my trainer's 17" saddle fits me very well. Her saddle has a deeper seat and larger knee blocks, which apparently is better for my build.

The build of the horse has an affect, I have ridiculously short legs and a wider horse makes it difficult for me. It's not an impossibility, just way more difficult than a thinner build of horse. I struggled more with a 13.2hh chunky pony than I did a 16.2hh warmblood simply because the pony was so wide and chunky.

·
Registered
323 Posts
well i'm 160cm (what ever that is in feet) the attached photos are of me in my jumping saddle and an all purpose. i got short stubby legs too :) please excuse the photo of me ripping my horses mouth over the jump, he actually bolted and that was me holding on for dear life LOL

P1020293.JPG

1718_1124_6213.jpg

1822_0086_1416.jpg

·
Banned
60 Posts
Showjumperrr

Im a very short person 5'1 to be exact and im wondering if my shortness is part of my issue with keeping my leg in the right place?

when im jumping my stirrups are up a few holes my legs come up really high i almost look like a jockey, and it seems that i get in a chair seat. Ive tried moving my legs back where there suppose to be but then i cant keep my heels down!!

Then i look at taller riders 5'6.... and up and they can keep there heels down alot better. Just wondering if my shortness has an effect

too be honest you dont have too go up loads of holes to jump its whatever postion you feel comfortable doing just try one hole and work from there xx

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Look at the photo of you cantering. This is how your legs should look (roughly) when riding on the flat. From the looks of it, your stirrups are too short for flat work. Then you shorten them further to jump. Try dropping your flat length, then bringing them up one or two holes to jump.

·
Banned
60 Posts
Showjumperrr

Its whatever length tpeople feel comfortable to ride in there is no set length you ride whatever you feel the best at!ideally shorter length to jump but really doesnt matter too much xx

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Its whatever length tpeople feel comfortable to ride in there is no set length you ride whatever you feel the best at!ideally shorter length to jump but really doesnt matter too much xx
There is a set length, but it has nothing to do with the length of the leather. Her legs are being held up too high by short stirrups. You can clearly see in the cantering pic that her legs are in a good position because she is standing up and they are stretched out. When she is sitting down, her stirrups are too short, which forces her knees up and brings her lower leg forward.

Correct length is about how your leg sits, not the stirrup. And her legs are sitting too short.

·
Banned
60 Posts
There is a set length, but it has nothing to do with the length of the leather. Her legs are being held up too high by short stirrups. You can clearly see in the cantering pic that her legs are in a good position because she is standing up and they are stretched out. When she is sitting down, her stirrups are too short, which forces her knees up and brings her lower leg forward.

Correct length is about how your leg sits, not the stirrup. And her legs are sitting too short.
there isnt a set length for someone who showjumps for the county and owns 4 horses all graded A there is no set length at all its what people feel comfortable in i ride shorter length then most how the leg sits is obviosuly an advantage but thats like saying someone really tall has to ride shorter then they want your leg needs to sit in a correct position to help the balancing of the horse too help you push them round and to bend into and too keep the horse between your hand and leg however there is no set rule stating where your leg should sit like i said it would be more of an advantage but it doesnt actully matter to much

·
Registered
64 Posts
To answer your original question, I don't think it is necessarily better to be tall. Shorter people do tend to have better balance. I'm 5'7 and that is one of main problems. As far as getting your legs in the right position, I would practice in the mirror just to help you get a better feel and vision for what you are trying to do once you get on the horse. I do this too, and I find it helpful. Also, I know there are books and articles with other exercises for riders and I belive they truly make a difference, so it might be worth a try. :D

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well when im riding i get my bf to yell at me and tell me if my legs fall forward, it helps and my butt and legs hurt after the ride haha

·
Registered
17 Posts

I do not think that there are any differences.
When I look at your picture, I think your stirrup could be two holes longer, if this was a dressage lesson, if you were show jumping on this picture the stirrups are okay.
It might be good to do a "seat-lesson" on the longe without stirrups, and to ride several times without stirrups, even while you´re jumping.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the saddle in that pic is a different saddle, but they ride the same. It just seems when i lengthen my stirups it feels like im constantly reaching for them, and loosing them

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
I'm about 5'3 with short legs and ride dressage. I always had it instilled in my head that I'd never get anywhere in dressage because I'm too short, well suck on that tall people that I've beaten :p
As for position, I do find that on the bigger horses (not bigger as in tall, I'm talking the super wide ones!) that I do get into a bit of a chair seat, because it's not physically possible for my legs to hang down straight on them! But I don't stress about it too much, I'm still effective in my use of seat and leg, and just try to stick with the slightly narrower horses. I think I've put photo's up on the forum somewhere of the two wb's I'm training/competing at the moment. They are both 16.2h but one is build like a tank as well as carrying a bit of 'excess baggage' so I end up with a bit of a chair seat on her. The other is solid but not overly broad so my legs can hang down on him and there's no chair seat :)

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
IS there some excersises i can do to get rid of this habit? maybe i could get someone to lunge my horse when im on him and go no stirrups

1 - 20 of 37 Posts