The Horse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my horse has some sort of growth on his lower right hind leg since June. I have tried treating it with iodine washes, removing the scabs, equiderma, coat defense, diaper rash cream, and simply leaving it alone. It has never healed. It doesn’t bother him at all and have asked my trainer about it several times and she said just keep putting coat defense on it. However, there has been no change. I wasn’t really too concerned about it since it had no effect on him. But yesterday I got the barn and his leg was slightly swollen and warm. Today there was no heat and less swelling and he’s not currently or has ever been lame. But the swelling and heat from yesterday has made me more concerned about what is on his leg. The farrier thinks it’s scar tissue which I don’t think it is because he didn’t have it when I got him and he’s never had an injury there. The barn owner thinks it could be a callus from the way he lays down, but that seems unlikely to me. Anyway, does anyone know what this is...

·
Registered
761 Posts
In the second picture there is a void in the hoof. I would be thinking there could be an abscess there. With it being there since June I'd have a vet look at it especially with the swelling and heat. I would think the farrier would have noticed an abscess though if there is one. They can start in the hoof and erupt in the coronary band. Odd he hasn't shown any lameness though.

·
Registered
10,550 Posts
I don’t know but one of my horses has something similar, in nearly the same spot, on a rear hoof.

It started out (in spring 2020) acting like Scratches (mud fever). The other spots of Scratches cleared up but, here we are about nine months later, and he still has one spot that really resembles what is on your horse’s hoof.

Like you, I rub the spot clean but that “stuff” comes back. My horse’s is directly in the fetlock joint. It doesn’t bother him, he does not have any heat or swelling. What he does have on other areas of his body, are sarcoids, so I have to wonder if this is a sarcoid that is irritated due to always walking in the environment.

The holistic vet/chiro will be here in 2-3 weeks. she is also a 20+ year student of Chinese medicine and has cured my horses of a few things the traditional vets were stumped about. I am going to have her look at it.

Conversely, if you get an answer regarding your horse, please post:)

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,076 Posts
I use extra strength Desitin on my horse's scratchs/mud fever on that area. I don't know that that's what your horse has, necessarily, but it does help keep the scabby bits soft and acts as a barrier to further exposure. It's antibacterial, antifungal, soothes the skin, and is gentle. Might be a good thing to try for a while to see if it makes any difference. It certainly wouldn't do any harm!

·
Super Moderator
26,875 Posts
I don't think it's rub from laying. I would guess he scraped it at some point and now it's constantly getting irritated. It could be a fungal thing. You could spray something on it or scrub it and Desiten it to see how that helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As you said, it is not a scar of a wound, yet, it is causing heat and swelling. You can try applying ice to the affected area for about 15-20 minutes. Ice may help treat inflammation.

Again, I would recommend you find a veterinarian specializing in the skin issues of horses. You can cruise through online platforms dedicated to veterinarians, like GreatVet, for finding a vet near you that best suits your preferences.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Is it creating heat and swelling right at the site of the crustiness/scabby area? Its possible it is not related. My first horse had what looks like very similar on one of his hind feet. It would peel off in bits and pieces, but I could make it bleed if I took off too much. I used a little glass nail file and filed it away to almost nothing, then applied no thrush powder. It kept it manageable and wasn't ever an issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to update, the vet saw him and said it looks like a scar and to keep an eye on it. If it gets bigger than she’ll be concerned about it but since it’s staying same she’s not too concerned with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts