The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I keep my horse at my house. I've had my horse for three months and the whole time it's been snowing so I haven't really had to worry about the poo in the pasture. Well, now the snow is slowly melting to reveal her poo... Her pasture is fairly large so am I supposed to just walk around the whole thing once a weel and pick up the poo? Also, what do I use to pick it up? Is it really necessary to remove it...?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Depends on how big the pasture is. If it's a few acres and just her in there, I would leave it. She'll have plenty of grass to eat that's not close to the areas she'll designate as a bathroom. But, if it's small enough that she has to graze close to the "roughs" (bathroom spots), then yes, pick it.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Okay, so I keep my horse at my house. I've had my horse for three months and the whole time it's been snowing so I haven't really had to worry about the poo in the pasture. Well, now the snow is slowly melting to reveal her poo... Her pasture is fairly large so am I supposed to just walk around the whole thing once a weel and pick up the poo? Also, what do I use to pick it up? Is it really necessary to remove it...?
Im in the exact same situation, ive had my horse 4 months. I do picked up poo, we have a small paddock and a very poopey pony! Ive had 2 wheelborrow-fulls out of there since i have had him but with a 0.6 acre field it is nessessary!
So yes I would especially if your horse has particular areas were he/she poos then clear it. Some manure is good for grass but too much can kill it.

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
If your paddock is a couple of acres, then an acceptable method may be to drag or harrow the paddock. This breaks up the manure and allows it to decompose more quickly; and keeps dead spots with no pasture grasses.

Smaller, and you need to get out there with a manure fork and wheebarrow, or tractor and manure spreader.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.