The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How old should a horse stop jumping? Or rather, not start? I have a 34 year old ottb who was later trained as a trail horse and is now just a pasture pet. He has gained weight since the weather has warmed up. I feel bad cause he doesn't get much attention or exercise since I spend alot of time taking care of the minis. I have been training Cop to jump but he was put on alot of grass(without my knowledge or advice) and has arthritis so it will be awhile until he can jump again, if he can. So I was thinking, that maybe I could work with Elroy over the jumps, even if it is just in hand over small crossrails. I know that he hasn't jumped before cause I tried to get him to jump a fallen branch a couple years back and he just dodged it(of course, I also had no idea what I was doing, they just did it on saddle club so I figured I would too, lol!). So. would it be okay to teach him to jump small crossrails in hand?
Thanks,
tcg

The first 3 pictures are from Christmas and the last 3 pictures are from last week.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
wow. he is a beutiful boy and looking much better and happier. Sorry, can't say about the jumping but goood luck!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Teaching jumping in hand generally isn't a great idea. When a horse is learning to jump they often twist in the air, or sidestep upon take-off. With you there you could get hurt. Lunging would be a better option, but quite frankly, he's 34 and I wouldn't do it. When was he last worked with? Because he's older he'll need to be fitter in order not to hurt himself. Please have a vet give him a full physical and okay any plans.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
He looks great for a 34 year old first of all. Congrats on that!

But I agree with the above poster. I wouldn't jump him. He's got arthritis and all the supplements in the world wouldn't be worth it IMHO

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okay, thanks guys! does he look like he has gained wight and just better in general to you all?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
How about a nice walk with him through the woods in-hand? I even do that with my young ones while I get them used to things. It might let him see new scenery and stretch his legs a bit without too much strain.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the idea Cat, Ill try that instead :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
hes gorgeous! and I agree with all of them they have good advice wht u could do with him is walk him over poles. it strecthes his legs and makes him think as well:D

p.s. I LOV SADDLE CLUB!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I wouldn't. At that age and with arthritis, the change would not be a positive one. If he was mine, I would be doing muscle exercises at the walk in hand (assuming that he isn't under saddle since it wasn't mentioned) such as gentle turns on the forehand, and walking over ground poles. If he's up to it, you can also teach him how to trot in hand. There are other fun things you can do in hand, such as teaching him to walk over a tarp, taking him through a line of cones, and walking around barrels.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wouldn't. At that age and with arthritis, the change would not be a positive one. If he was mine, I would be doing muscle exercises at the walk in hand (assuming that he isn't under saddle since it wasn't mentioned) such as gentle turns on the forehand, and walking over ground poles. If he's up to it, you can also teach him how to trot in hand. There are other fun things you can do in hand, such as teaching him to walk over a tarp, taking him through a line of cones, and walking around barrels.
Ya, when I said jump I more meant w/t ground poles/6" crossrails :). But I problably wont do that seeing as everyone advises against it, I don't want to hurt my baby. What about making an easy obstical course? And no, he isn't under saddle with his age :). And just to clarify, its my 9yr old gelding that has arthritis, i haven't noticed much with this big boy. Thank you for all your replies everyone:)

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Well, what kind of obstacles are you thinking of? As long as it's not physically taxing on him or stressful, a nice, mind-engaging obstacle course would be good for him.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just w/t(whatever pace he is comforatable at) around barrels, over a couple ground poles(if thats safe), maybe a figure 8 thrown in there. I am open to more suggestions and please tell me if something isn't safe, keeping him safe and happy is pretty much the main reason that he is just a pasture puff!:lol:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Sounds fine to me as long as he's sound to trot.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you so much for ALL your help roro! I can't wait to set him up a course, he's gonna have so much fun!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.