The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my latest shipment of beet pulp smells funny. I dump it all into a big plastic barrel, and scoop it daily from there. A few days ago I noticed that it smelled a little different when I was feeding it. Today I noticed that the whole barrel smells awfully vinegar-ish. The thing I don't understand is that it's DRY in the barrel, so how could it have soured already? Plus its kept in my barn, which isn't heated and it's about as cold as I would expect a Maine winter to be... Is it possible that it is a bad batch and it was delivered that way?

·
Banned
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump... I called the company today, they said I am the only one to have an issue with the beet pulp. I just don't know why it smells so weird. Anyone?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
346 Posts
For several years our beet pulp came in paper bags. Our local dealer changed brands and the new bags were in plastic--similar to Standlee bags. That stuff stunk to high heaven. I ended up throwing it out because I just couldn't get over the difference in the smell. Just didn't seem right to me. Finally found someone local who carried the old kind.

·
Banned
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This stuff comes in paper bags. I have had other kinds that are in a different type of woven plastic sort of stuff. I know I keep saying it smells like vinegar, but that's really what it smells like.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.