The Horse Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZoNqMav-to

This is a slow motion video of my gelding. I have been concerned as the last week he has not been moving normally for himself. I am wondering if anyone here sees something off about the way he is moving. I know he is very out of condition, I have had an extremely hard time keeping weight on him (again) this winter, so I have not been working him much. Thank you for your input!

·
Registered
829 Posts
I cant offer any advise as I do not have the experience but would be interested in hearing what other people say. I see a few similarities in my standardbred gelding - he is quite 'stumbly' and will sometimes do what your horse did at the start when he caught his back hoof on the ground.

·
Super Moderator
16,045 Posts
I agree there was no stumbling.

The horse looks sound, he is not tracking up at the trot with the left hind but that could be because it is the outside leg. Be interested to see him on the left rein.

·
Registered
113 Posts
He's an Arabian correct? My Arab has the same movement in the hind end in the trot and walk.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
He forges at the walk and also at the trot. He needs shorter toes and and the front toes rolled over. If that did not prevent the forging I would look at shoes with a very very tiny trailer behind. He needs a proper foot trim.

He stumbled on the hind.. knuckling over a bit and on the left front when first asked for a canter. He needs to get off his forehand and needs to be driven forward. He appears to be just "going along."

Those feet are an issue. Shorten and Roll the front toes, shorten the rear toes and he may do much better.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, thank you all so much! He is due for a trim, even though he was trimmed only a month ago, believe it or not. His feet just grow REALLY fast. I have accidentally let his feet get this long before, and it did not affect him the way it is now, but he had much better muscle tone then. So perhaps it is a combination of needing his feet done and lacking muscling. I am actually planning to do his feet tomorrow, so hopefully that will clear up these issues somewhat. Thank you all again so much!

·
Administrator
35,675 Posts
He drags both hind feet at times but I think that's down to a combination of long feet, not being fit/lack of muscle and him trying to go around with his nose on the floor - which is actually hard work for an unfit horse

·
Registered
12 Posts
To do you have any video of him from behind? Video of him cantering and also going the other way? How does he travel when you bending him around smaller circle

1 - 15 of 15 Posts