The Horse Forum banner

Is my Horse a Blue Roan or Grey?

6202 20
I can't tell I've had her for 2 years and her coat color hasn't changed. In the Winter she gets a little darker than the summer but other than that I can't tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I almost want to say Sabino as well but possibly roan or even a combination of the two! Definitely not grey though

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I would go by the tail. A roan will have a black tail -- all the way to the bottom. The first photo looks a lot like the tail has dirty white in it. If it does, the horse is turning gray slowly.
Not necessarily. Sabino will cause this as well

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
The ends of the tail actually look bleached to me rather than grey. I don't see grey at all - I would expect some sort of indication on the face by this stage, and there is absolutely nothing there. I suspect she is sabino and maybe rabicano as well. You can see that there are some actual belly spots there as well as the ticking.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Does she by chance have Clydesdale in her?

Reactions: MaryLoouise

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I suspect sabino as well not true roan or gray.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: MaryLoouise

·
Registered
22,319 Posts
How old is this horse? If she's older than 5, then gray would have definitely made an obvious appearance by this point.

I agree with the concensus that she's either classic roan or expressing sabino roan or maybe a combination of both. The only way to say for certain which it was would be to have her color tested. But, if you don't want to bother with that, you can just call her a blue roan and you would be technically correct.

She's a pretty girl.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How old is this horse? If she's older than 5, then gray would have definitely made an obvious appearance by this point.

I agree with the concensus that she's either classic roan or expressing sabino roan or maybe a combination of both. The only way to say for certain which it was would be to have her color tested. But, if you don't want to bother with that, you can just call her a blue roan and you would be technically correct.

She's a pretty girl.
Thank you!! She is 6 years old, I'm not too filmilar with greys so I don't know how to tell, is there certain areas that lighten with age?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
She looks a lot like Coronado's dam who is a smoky black sabino with no roan:

That's not to say your mare couldn't be roan as well, but sabino is DEFINITELY present.
I would say that is her coloring, she does sometimes have the hues of brown in her coat and tail. I've never heard of a black sabino before thank you!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Thank you!! She is 6 years old, I'm not too filmilar with greys so I don't know how to tell, is there certain areas that lighten with age?
Posted via Mobile Device
Look at the face of this horse. It shows what I was talking about - the head is usually one of the first part of the body to show grey. You can also see the silvery colour at the bottom of the tail, another significant sign of grey. Interestingly, this horse is also showing the beginning of a "fake" sock, which many greys show.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Look at the face of this horse. It shows what I was talking about - the head is usually one of the first part of the body to show grey. You can also see the silvery colour at the bottom of the tail, another significant sign of grey. Interestingly, this horse is also showing the beginning of a "fake" sock, which many greys show.

If thats so then I do agree with you, she must be a sabino or something. Her face marking hasn't gotten any lighter around the edges in the past two years, atl least not noticeably. Thank you for the help! :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.