The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well at the end of this month my friend stated riding with me, (my horse is pretty forward and ongoing) but no my horse was as lazy as anything like she would not even trot for me and thats not normal for her any way and the weird thing is when my friend left, my horse would canter 3 laps around the arena .Do any of you know whats up with her or is she just being dam lazy :???:

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Horses sometimes have off days too!

If it was just the one time, it could be a bad day, trying to keep away from your friend's horse, or discomfort.
When was the last time her back, teeth and saddle were checked?

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
I'm thinking your horse is a "mare" as you referred to a "she" in your post...

Could your mare be in season or reacting to your friends horse?

If you were sitting differently while you ride together it may have triggered her response...

The fact your horse willingly cantered by itself makes me wonder if your horse picked-up on your easy-going frame of mind {& body} while with your friend, then again once alone picked-up on the "time to work" attitude...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Horses sometimes have off days too!

If it was just the one time, it could be a bad day, trying to keep away from your friend's horse, or discomfort.
When was the last time her back, teeth and saddle were checked?
I agree with Duffy, horses do have off days, and it'd be good to check her out.

Also, horses are extremely perceptive. Now do NOT take this the wrong way, but because your friend was around, who knows, you could of been feeling/acting different, which could change the way your horse acts. This may sound like baloney to you.

Or, you could be right, your horse was just being lazy. :) I've had my fair share with lazy horses.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for all the replies many of them could true, but she is still a bit not forward as my stable manager said she could bored of her work i not sure but thanks i could be wrong any way thank you :)

·
Registered
673 Posts
I think your horse is herdbound to the other horse. When your friend was in the arena, your horse felt like she was in "her herd" and felt very comfortable just hanging out with your friend's horse. When your friend's horse left, she was then left without the company and leadership of the other horse, so she either let you become the leader, or she decided she herself was the leader.

If this theory is correct, your horse does not feel like you are her leader so she does not need to listen to you, hence her ignoring your aids when the other horse is present. She may be forward, but is she responsive to your aids? Do you feel like you are in control, or just along for the ride?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks I may think that could be it.well se does go when I tell here to but only with the whip and I don't like hitting here when she has done nothing wrong.well I will have to do some work on her thanks tho :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.