The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was wondering if i could get some advice my mare didnt eat this morning which is very unusual for her but she ate some grain later i went to ride her and she was acting really agitated she tried to kick out at me and bucked twice and felt really stiff like she wasn't relaxing shes drinking a lot of water (more than normal) and has been going to the bathroom regularly she laid down in the sun for awhile which she does almost everyday but when she got up i went over and pet her side and she tried to bite me which is also very unusual for her just wondering if you guys have had any similar experiences any advice is appreciated thanks

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Sounds like it could be colic.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Have you listened for gut sounds, and gotten her vitals? Sounds like she could be a bit colicky. I would call the vet.

·
Super Moderator
26,364 Posts
sounds like she may be a little colicy. I would take her temperature and offer her some luke warm water.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I agree with the other posters.

I would not try to ride a horse that hadn't eaten, that right there is a big sign that something's up as horses are really into their food! That and grumpiness combined is a sign something's wrong.

·
Registered
761 Posts
One of my mares did about the same thing this past weekend. Ran up when called, but would not eat. Laid down and did not want to get up. When she laid down again, I can a line and walked her. She pooped big and I walked her more. After about an hour she started eating hay. I put her in a paddock where she only had hay and water. Watched her, after another hour she pooped again and started eating more hay. That night she wanted her grain but i only gave her hay. Next day she is back out and back to her old self. WHAT WAS IT? I don't know for sure, but could have been the start of colic. Best to know your animals and watch for changes. And never wait too long before calling a vet, if they stay down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts