The Horse Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've recently bought a mare (Easter weekend) and all appears well. She's gotten a bit bigger belly, but I chocked it up to her being in a healthy green pasture and getting less exercise than she got with her previous owner. Then the last few days in the morning during her feed/check/lovin time I noticed she appeared partially "bagged up", in the evenings I'd check again and she would be less noticeably swelled but I could still feel some tension in the udder. It's not hot to the touch, she's evenly swollen, and she doesn't appear sensitive in any way. Yesterday morning I checked her, and her teats were swollen as well. To me (by no means am I a trained eye) the weight in her belly carries the most change in front of her hips. I contacted the seller, and he doesn't believe she has been in contact with a stallion as he didn't have any at his place, but I wonder because he used to lease her out.
I also haven't noticed a heat cycle while I've had her, but I thought maybe she didn't show predominant signs because she's currently my only horse.

Could she be pregnant? Is there something else that could make a mare swell at night and go down during the day?

A little background. She's an 8 year old APHA overo that is stalled at night and out to pasture during the day. She gets one scoop of strategy twice a day and a pad of hay at night.
Plant Horse Tree Working animal Sky

Leaf Wood Building Tree Plant

Working animal Wood Mammal Rural area Shade

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please just ask the vet. No one here can tell you just from pictures, and if it turns out she's pregnant, you'll need to consult with one sooner rather than later, anyhow. Best of luck!
I reached out to a vet today, waiting to hear back, in the meantime I guess I'll get to try out my p-test tomorrow. Either way I will have a vet check her, just to make sure there's nothing abnormal going on with the swelling.

·
Premium Member
Horse loving mama in Texas
1,221 Posts
She dont look in foal to me either, maybe stalled up at night without the moving around is causing the swelling. Or maybe shes producing Witches milk since shes on all that green grass and there could be some type of grass shes eating might be causing the Witches milk if thats the case. She just dont have a belly of a mare in foal. But could be wrong.

·
Super Moderator
15,880 Posts
With any urine based (estrogen) test for pregnancy if you have no history and even with history you want more than one test. 2 taken two weeks apart is going to be more accurate as there are other reproductive issues that cause the test to turn colors. You usually see a difference between the two results if that is the case. If pregnant you usually see same result or slightly darker. Another caution is that collection has to be clean. No sucking it into the pipette from the ground. Contaminated urine can give false results. If you're lucky she has a schedule and you know that schedule. She also won't be suspicious of you hanging out near by with an empty cup in your hand.

There are also several things that can affect her and cause udder swelling. Differences in diet and feeds or forage that is estrogenic would be one.

She doesn't look like I would expect a mare to look if bagging up but all mares are different and just like women can carry differently until the baby is in position for delivery. That said she doesn't look pregnant to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts