Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here is my story:

In June(of this year) I brought my 21 yr. old QH mare to a private farm to get her bred to their QH stud. We counted down to when she was supposed to go into heat and brought her to the stud's 1 day before she was due to come into heat. She was then placed in a corral next to the stud and was left there for 3-4 days. She did NOT come into a visible heat. So the stud owner just turned his gentle stud in with my mare on the 5th day and she didn't want anything to do with him. He said that nothing happened.... so we waited 5 more day's and she still hadn't went into heat. So we brought her home.. It's been THREE months and she still hasn't come into heat.

What's wrong with her? Is she just done having foals?

COULD she be possibly bred??

Please comment and tell me your opinion/experience!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Yep, I'd ask the vet. Unless the stud owner has been wtih them 24/7 night and day, there's no definite answer without an ultrasound or exam.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I don't know. All mine cycled till they passed.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
"They do eventually lose their fertility, but it varies a lot from mare to mare. Some are done by their late teens and some can still be bred until their mid twenties. However, this is not menopause like human women get. Their infertility is due to chronic degenerative/inflamitory changes of the uterus. Techinically, if none of this happens to them, they could go into heat until they die, but this rarely happens."

Im quoting this from the internet:) would love to hear what the vet has to say:)

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
I can 100% guarantee that my 27 year old girl has never stopped cycling. She, however, has never been pregnant - just been "bred" by every gelding she's ever met, the hussy! :rofl:

I've heard that a mare's fertility drops significantly as she ages but she doesn't ever stop cycling.
However, what BB quoted seems likely...but at the same time, wouldn't that imply that the uterus is basically "dead" (unable to function) and wouldn't that possibly be a major source of infection...? Having a "dead" body part stuck inside a healthy one?
AT the same time, the quoted stuff never actually says a mare stops cycling, it just says that she'll generally become infertile. The plot thickens! :shock:

OP, did you ever find anything out?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
me and my mare

here's a pic of her :)

I got a hold of the vet and everything is A-okay with her! The vet said she either went through a "menopause" or her body just got messed up(because her vet exam was when she was 1/2 way through her heat and she had a x-ray thingy shoved in her body....) if that was the case, she should start going into heat in the spring again. She's a rather picky mare, so I can see that happening :) Such a sweet girl though :D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Sorry, an ultrasound will not make a mare have a heat and or stop a heat cycle or mess up a heat cycle. We do ultrasounds on mares all the time, to see how big a folicle is to do AI, to see how far into heat they are for a natural cover, etc.
Also, the ultrasound to check a mare is done through the rectum, not her vagina, the only time things are inserted into the vagina is during AI, not a preg check . Mares also do not go through menapause....
Your vet needs to do a blood test to see what is going on.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yeah that is definitely not right. You use the ultrasound to determine where she is in her cycle, it never messes it up. If it was recent, she could just be transitional and she will come in again in the spring. you could put her under lights in December to breed her earlier in the year if you don't want to wait.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.