The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an amazing western pleasure mare. She is seventeen and very healthy. My question is with great care of her health how many more years could we have with her. For trail and compition. She needs conditioning she is a little out of shape. Trotting, walking transitions for about thirty mins is enough to break a sweat. Thank you in advanced for your opinions. Oh and she would be stalled with daily turnout and excersize.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
17? That's not old at all! Most of the horses at the summer camp I work at are over 20 and get ridden every day over the summer as kids' horses. The oldest two are 27 and still going strong. One gelding was sold to a wrangler because it was his usual mount (wayy too much for a kid to handle). We thought he was 26 this year, but found out he's actually 18. Still one of the hottest horses (and fastest) I know.

If she's healthy and you keep her in shape, you could have at least 10 years of riding left.

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
I ditto what Poseidon said.

My horse is 18 and we kicked some arabian butt in an endurance ride over the summer, and came out in much better condition than the much younger horses.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have a 15 year old arab, and still competing and riding her! :) also my friend WINS State sporting (barrel's etc) on no joke a 32 year old pony. she loves it and is super fast. both of those horses are never stalled but they are rugged and fed! :)
I also know heaps of 17ish yr old horses that are in full bloom! prime time! :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you for the great news..... I really really love this mare she is amazing. . I am concerened with how much she can handle in one session. What is the best way to get her in shape safely. And is there anything i can do to keep her around a long long time besides food and vaccinations?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
918 Posts
my pony looses shape really quickly, she looses muscle and gains weight!
but what i do when i give her a spell is walk and a little trot for 20mins 3 days in a row,
then a break,
then walk trot 30mins with a little canter for about 5-7 days with a break or two in between,
then walk trot canter and maybe a little crossbar jump, just for the hell of it. for about 4 days
then cause shes a barrel racer, i walk trot around barrels and a little canter, working on the correct line etc,
then by then it's hard to stop her from doing a flat chap around the joint... so after all that i then do a full canter with a faster canter home around barrels... and yeah, then she is pretty fit...

also with the walking trotting and cantering i go up hills and over rough terrain etc. heaps of trail riding, keeps there mind occupied.

also of course warming up properly and cooling down etc.! :) and shes 13years old :)

·
Registered
49,269 Posts
Your horse should be a great riding horse for at least 6 more years, but hopefully 9 or 10.! I bet she's lovely. Mac is 18 now. He does tire a bit more, but only if he is not kept in condition. He's a lot smarter now, and nicer, too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh my, im, in love, she is out of Kay see leauger x ima big leaguer. Jet black no white no where. She needs a tune up on staying at the trott or canter but im sure its because that's as long as she can handle it. But you don't have to touch the reins she will keep her head down at the walk trot and canter. She doesn't turn real good to the left by neck reining but other than that she is perfectttttttt! !!!!!! Amazing. I love her... Just needs a little tune up
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
436 Posts
My old pony is 30 and my 8 yr old nephew rides him around at a walk for hours at a time. Now, I know its not 'working' or even a fast gate. But he loves it, and he still wants to go when I make my nephew get off him lol

·
Registered
143 Posts
Don't think it's too old at all! One of my mare's 27 and she did a full day of Gymkhana (We actually didn't know she was this old! Else we would've taken it a little easier on her! She still gave it her all, Got reserve champ) MY horse Mac is around 23 years old and he still runs REALLY good. He has gotten Grand Champ in around 5 Gymkhana shows. My old mare,Beau, was getting up to her 30's when she died and she won me plently of Grand Champion. In Western AND Gymkhana!

I've known many old horses that still have plenty of potential when they get into their upper twenties/twenties. One of my mom's/uncle's horse was 42? when he died. He did Gymkhana (including polo) till the day he died! As long as you keep the horse in shape they should be fine!

by the way tinyliny, lovin' that your horse's name is Mac also!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Heck no. that's not old.
i know a 36 year old Quarter Horse, who was retired do to a hock injury a few years ago. she is still kicking
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
OLD?? LOL!!

In the '72 Olympics (the only year I checked this) the AVERAGE age of the horses competing there was 18. That means for every nine year old.......

These are horses at the top of the game!

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
The lesson horse I ride is 21. He is still being jumped, although not over 2'6", on a weekly basis.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
My fellow is 22, and we are schooling 3'3" and competing at Novice in the Eventing World at 2'11". While that's the limit for him *he can go higher, but I wont ask him to* he's strong, healthy and well taken care of.

He is 22, but acts and looks much younger.

Proper nutrition, conditioning, health care *joint care, dental, etc, etc* are all impportant factors to keeping your horse healthy, happy and ensuring their longevity.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
As long as you take into consideration her nutritional needs and monitor for
arthritis ect. she should be working for a long, long time! I would check her
genetics and run a search on her pedigree and see how long her family worked
and lived. It's like human genetics and longevity. Some of us can drink,
smoke, and eat whatever we want and live to 100+, people like me have to watch it my family dosen't fare so well!

My old gelding lived to 28, but he developed severe arthritis at 18 and that
was it for hard riding. I used him to train my daughter. He had a history of
foundering/colic when he was given to me at 5. With very SPECIAL and
EXPENSIVE care I helped him make it to his old age, but it was a struggle. :^(

Enjoy your "senior"!!!! Would love to see a picture!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I rode a 30 year old QH in a "fun show" two weekends ago. He's a grumpy old man sometimes but he can MOVE!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I have a 19 year old Connemara and we go on hour long trail rides, i work him for 30 min - 45 min during our home sessions. He is fine and more spunky than my 12 year old.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Trotting, walking transitions for about thirty mins is enough to break a sweat.Posted via Mobile Device
The sweating could simply be how she is. I have a mare that will sweat after 10 minutes of light trotting. At 15 degrees in the winter even her eye balls are sweating after an hour of work.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Ditto re: the age. I rode my Arab until a few months before his death at age 27 (2009.) What could hinder her use is how hard she has been worked throughout her career and how it has affected her legs and her joints. (If she was an OTTB, it could be almost ANY parts of her body, and the one I owned had great legs but a bad back.) If your Vet gives you the okay, enjoy riding her a lot!! Bear in mind, just like human athletes, the older they are, the longer you need to warm up and cool down. Older, sane horses are worth the babying bc there are very reliable. =D

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
My mare had her 20th birthday in March.

I got her when she was 17 or 18, and horrifically out of shape. (Rode for 5 minutes and she could barely breath lol). I just had to slowly increase the amount of time we were riding and what all we did.

She is the best drill horse in the world for her age, still runs high speed precision drills that are 6 mins. or longer.

If you keep your horse in shape, you will have a LOOONG time with her!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.