The Horse Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
I'm getting old. I'll leave the jumping and crazy stunts to the younger kids. For me, so far, all I am interested in is putting a saddle on my horse and going for a ride nearly every day around the lands near on and near my property. I'll saddle up, take one of the pies I make down to the neighbors along with any spare eggs my chickens lay. I'll drop them off some tomatoes and veggies from my garden. I'll go for a run on my good days when my body doesn't feel like it's breaking. I might join up with some friends and head out, go on a few trails we've got around here at our local parks. I want to go out to the field where they are grazing with a few horse toys and see how they react to the new toys I bought them. Take my camera, take some photos. I'll be out there under the shade tree with them with a blanket to lay on, pillow, and a book, not doing a darn thing sometimes but reading.. I'll have days where I'll get them out, do some ground work. I might have a day where I feel like teaching them a new trick, something simple like shaking their heads yes or no.. or picking up a hat I 'accidentally' dropped.. I might walk my sons out the the barn now and then, try and teach them a few basics about being safe around horses, let them feed a treat or two..

I see the other girls at the school doing jumping, dressage, other things. So far it hasn't held a shine to me at all. During my lessons all I want my trainer to teach me is balance so far. lol I don't want to fall, lol.. That's about it. Happy learning the basics for right now..

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Please, send me a picture of you carrying a pie and eggs horseback!!! Hahahaha!

Once we bear children, it is amazing how sensible we become! Growing up, I jumped horses over stuff that you can't even imagine. Much of it bareback. I would jump my horse into the paddock. These days, I get off before I ride through the GATE!!!

AA, I did have a nice ride on Lucy yesterday, but about 30minutes in, we got attacked by Japanese beetles. Their little punchy toes were making her twitch all over. I gave up. My Aronia berry patch is right next to the riding area....those bushes are covered in Danged beetles. It is an organic patch, so I just have traps.

We had a terrific storm last night. Most of it went just to the north of us, but we caught the last line. It was lightening so heavily when I went to feed and close up the barn that I left the 5 mares in. I was afraid the metal panels would get struck just as I touched them! They have those hoops over the top......I could probably use some shock therapy, but I don't want the horses hurt.

I get to take Sissy up and get her shoes reset today.....

·
Registered
802 Posts
Please, send me a picture of you carrying a pie and eggs horseback!!! Hahahaha!
Oh I have this little brown wicker pick nick basket I've had forever that will strap to the back of a saddle right easily. But a photo of me doing that on horseback, visiting the neighbors, might be worth a photo or two.. I reckon they'll get use to me. lol It wouldn't be hard to balance it like a kid in front of me either..

Glad you got a bit of rain and no one was hurt during the storm. It should cool things off the next time you go riding? If anything, keeps any ponds you have full, gardens watered, and fields green. We're pretty happy around here to see rain in summer. Unless we're out in it trying to bail hay. Then not so welcome..

Photos of Sassy in her new shiny shoes?

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
You are going to need a Governess cart!! That would be SO cute...you delivering eggs and pies in your little cart.

Yes, I was very glad to see the rain! And the lightening keeps the plants green!

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
@greentree - I was the same as a kid. I didn't even blink at pointing my horse at a 5' fence or 3' wide ditch and expecting her to jump over when I was a kid - bareback or western. I don't think I've asked a horse to jump anything not found out on the trails since I've had kids, though. I'll admit, however, that I'd be terrified to try jumping in an English saddle! There's nothing to 'em!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Yeah I jumped just a like a foot and a half high fence once in an English saddle and ended up sitting on ryuus neck with my feet still in the stirrups but mostly what I did when I was riding was try to teach myself to ride bareback almost every time He would Trot my butt would bounce back towards his butt and I'd end up laying down on him one time the donkey grabbed Ryuu by one rein and led him around while I rode him he didn't seem to enjoy that one as much as I did

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have a new hate passion.. It's the stirrups that were on that English saddle my trainer made me use. They kept twisting my recovering leg. I really hate that tiny thin bit of metal now.. With a passion! If she wants me to ride an English saddle to learn balance, I'll shut up and do it. But I did not like it. She only got ONE photo of me smiling. The rest of them, was in too much pain from pushing down on that tiny little stirrup. I'm definitely going to request a stirrup that's a bit wider next time. Lesson learned.. when riding for physical therapy, and the knee is still a bit 'off' western saddles are less painful..

I hope you find a new horse you love soon, Faolchu. You speak so fondly of Ryuu. It's going to be a joy to see you riding again, enjoying yourself.

Reactions: Change

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I'm not sure if you mean that it was because the actual stirrup was too small or if you meant the strap that it attatches too but it could be the way it's made there's some saddles that are made so the stirrups are twisted so they hang the way your foot does instead of flat against the horse i liked the stirrups on the English saddle more because they were thinner and it was a lot easier to move my legs this is my English saddle ignore the mess I need to clean my room I tied the saddle pay to the saddle because the saddle pad would always slip back so that the front of the saddle was sitting on him and not the pad and I got a girth strap converter so I didn't have to get a new girth strap because I had no idea what size Ryuu was and I remember girth straps being expensive the one I have isn't even mine it's the one my old horseback riding teacher gave me when she lost mine and I wish I could get another horse but I'm seventeen and my mom and dad said we don't have the money I definitely don't have the money and I want to get a trailor and learn how to drive first plus I want to make sure that i can afford to take care of a horse myself and my dogs and I want to make sure that I won't make the same mistakes I did with Ryuu

Attachments

·
Registered
48,598 Posts
i think that saddle is a cutback Saddleseat saddle. please check the leathers for the stirrups and the billets carefully before you use it, as they may be dried out, rotten, rat chewed . . .dangerous.

if you do ride in it, it will ride much different from a typical 'english' saddle. because the stirrup bar is much more forward from where your seat bones are in the saddle, you will find posting on it much different from a typical English saddle, or even a typical western saddle. I used to ride in one of those type of saddles, and they have no padding at all, are very slick and take a great deal of balance and strength to ride in. I find them awful, but maintain a high degree of respect for Saddle seat riders. it's a very challenging discipline.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Thanks and yeah it's in pretty bad shape I cleaned it up some and patched a huge hole in the seat and called it deathtrap I just found it in the back of the barn the the first time I rode in it I was waiting for part of it to break luckily It's not in that bad of shape yet but it's got quite a bit of dry rot it's a got a lot more padding then my western saddle did That thing was like sitting on a log I had no clue what kind of English saddle it was but it was really hard to post in I could barely do it I thought the stirrups seemed really far forward but I thought that was just because I was used to riding in a western saddle or bareback or that I had the stirrups adjusted wrong or something which I probably do because I don't think I ever adjusted them since I found it and I'm really small compared to most people when I get the chance I'm gonna google more about this now maybe it would be something fun to try one day

·
Registered
802 Posts
I still hope you can find a horse you enjoy riding now and then, even if you don't own. Up in the saddle again, enjoying yourself.

Any movement on this rusty knee of mine hurts. Twisting it in any way, even a little, hurts. That stirrup I used was doing that. I don't know how English saddles work, all I know is what I felt. Pain. Ouch. I don't like the stirrups. I was okay with the rest of the saddle, didn't bother me. I could live with it. It was just that one part I hated.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Kyleen - have you tried riding without stirrups to improve your balance? It is a bit advanced and challenging for a beginning rider, but will be much easier on your knee. I sometimes think I was a much better rider as a kid, long before I started riding in a saddle and started depending on my feet to keep me where I belong.

Faolchu - I, too, hope you find the opportunity to ride as often as possible, to continue learning and growing into a true horsewoman. It is good that you are looking at the responsibilities and costs of taking care of yourself and your animals before you decide you need to have another one!

·
Registered
802 Posts
The first thing I asked her is if she would allow me to go bareback. I'd gone bareback before on another horse, not too long ago. And I did okay. Enjoyed it even. But she said no. Not my horses so I can't argue. So I asked her if she had a bareback saddle I could use. Again, she said no. Eventually she stuck me in that English saddle and man it hurt! I'm definitely going to be telling her the next lesson I have, that if I have to use those stirrups, it is eventually going to make me go to her competition for lessons, just because they have western saddles and she only has English.. It was just twerking my knee too much. I'm going to try to get her to compromise with me, just until my leg is stronger. If she won't, it's definitely going to chase me out of there. Even if it is closer and more convenient. Lessons should be enjoyable. Not torture.

It was one of my first lessons, third to be exact. And it was the first time I'd had her for a trainer. I know it's the stirrups of the saddle I was on because when I removed my leg out of them, the pain would go away and I'd be okay. But of course she would go, "Oh your foot fell out of the stirrups, stop the horse so I can put it back!" Going to be a bit more assertive next time I speak to her. Make sure she hears me. Not mean or rude mind you, just more blunt..

Reactions: Change

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I hope your knee gets better and that gets sorted out the biggest issue I ever had with saddles is them being too big for me particularly the stirrups being too long I'm like five foot two or three and I weigh like 125 or 128 or something like that i weighed less back then but we actually had to punch new holes in my western saddle so that the my feet would reach the stirrups and they were still too long and if we went up anymore it would've made the stirrups bow out or something because I was small everyone at the place I kept Ryuu also made jokes about how the horses probably didn't even realize i was on them

·
Registered
802 Posts
Oh my. If you're 5'2" and have issues, I got the giggles something awful trying to think of what it would be like for my sweet sister in law to try it. She's barely 4'3". Her brother (my husband) teases her, "pocket sized and portable!" lol

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Haha a couple years ago I made furry pants like Inuits wear kinda only fake fur and not nearly as well made to wear in the snow it never snows here but I'm weird and am always making something and I wore them and they were awesome and then my friend started calling me an ewok because I was short and furry and when I first got Ryuu and I would try to put his bridle on he would lift up his head and he figured out that he could just hold his head where I couldn't reach it and id give up eventually and that's how I figured out riding in a halter work just as good as a bridle if not better

41 - 56 of 56 Posts