The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is gonna be a long story, so please bare with me...
Basically me and my friend (both 13 and share our horses) were planning on going on a bareback hack on sunday! We've ridden both our horses before bareback and they've been fine! I gave her a bad leg up and when she was half on her horse spun around and began to trot. I grabbed her and she came to a stop and my friend slid off. We were both wearing hats, the horse had a leadrope around her neck for us to hold onto and she was wearing a bridle. There is no rule about riding bareback on the yard.
Many people saw what happened, including the yard owners husband. One person told her nicely she should go put a saddle on. So we went in and I put a saddle on mine. I went up to my friends stable to see if she was ready and I found her crying. I asked her what's up and she said a women called diane had come up to her and told her she's not good enough to ride the horse, that she hopes the owner of the horse won't let her back and that she was lying about being aloud to go bareback. We both had permision. This diane had left her a letter in the past saying something about ruining her hard work. Now, my friend has been kicked off the yard for 'not following the person she shares her withs guidlines' and 'not taking other members of the yards advice' first, erin, the person she shares her with, said that its fine she rides bareback but not on the roads and she's angry she's been kicked off. Secondly, no one said anything to her before she rode bareback. My friend is gutted and I believe she is responable enough to be able to be continue sharing her horse! Ughh, is there anything I can do!?
Oh, and just to make it clear, the yard owner kicked her off not the person she shares her with
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
There isn't much you can do.

I imagine your friend has already spoken with the BO and it hasn't worked out. Is this horse owned by the person she shares it with or owned by the barn owner?

If it's owned by the barn owner then there isn't much to be done. If it's owned by the other girl then perhaps she can talk to the barn owner.

It might not be what you think though. In situations like this the owner is somewhat legally responsible for the welfare of you, your friend and the other people at the barn. By seeing your friend have a near fall, you guys thinking about going out bareback, losing control of the horse I imagine warning bells would be sounding in her mind. It might just not be worth the risk to her to have someone there who is showing what she thinks is unsound judgement. I don't think it would be just this incident that caused her to leave, but either what this incident showed, or past incidents as well.

I know it's rough, but as a kid you have to try harder to be responsible. Often things that adults could do and still be considered responsible or reasonable are things that if a kid does, they write off as silly or irresponsible. I think this is because adults are considered rational, and children aren't and for the most it's true. But something like horse riding you really have to show you're responsible which means never messing about. It means keeping to higher standards. It's rough, but it's life.

Perhaps given a few weeks your friend and her parents could arrange an appointment with the owner, she could apologise, work out a new set or rules or arrangements and the owner might reconsider it.

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
Time for your friend's parents to get involved. If you and your friend have been doing unsafe things in the past, this may just have been the last straw for the yard owner.

As much as you want to get involved, stay out of it. It's between your friend, her parents, and the yard owner.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.