The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who owns a younger horse, 6-8 and she had been having leg issues where she would limp really bad, later finding out arthritis and foundering as well. but when I watched her lesson after my lesson I saw she was limping REALLY bad and shes jumping her like 2'6 which I know isn't high, but I cant believe the instructor and her made her jump it you can tell it hurt her every jump. At one point she bucked and wouldnt jump so the rider beat her horse with the crop. I pointed this to her and she said "No that never happened" Im sure she wasnt aware cause all she thinks about is jumping. I really feel bad for this horse cause she has hoof problems too where they dont care for them like they should. If that was my horse, I wouldnt be jumping and just doing some trails instead. Like I know it's not starving a horse or beating it till its black and blue, but I really think this is a form of horse abuse. and if she keeps jumping it I know this young horse wont last long. - shes already starting to pop her shoulder funny when walking.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Is the friend young or older? If young maybe going to the parents. If older maybe go to the BO and see if the BO can step in and make your friend more aware of what is going on. Otherwise, you could try and suggest it, but I've always found people like that to not be very receptive.

Hope everything works out for the horse. Good luck.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shes an adult. I'm sorry, but what does BO stand for?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Barn Owner = BO.

Are you and adult? If you are then try talking to her directly or try and see if your Barn Owner (if you are in a boarding situation) sees if there is a problem and then can talk to her. If you are a kid - same thing, find an adult and see if they see what you are seeing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ah, lol. My mistake, now that makes sense BO = Barn Owner
She is the barn owner, well not mine anymore. I moved since she bullied my horse alot. Yes, I'm an adult. I have tried talking to her and so has the vet and farrier but she's ignoring the situation. My new barn owner knows her as well and says if she see's that horse being jumped or bad hooves and etc she's going to call the Animal control, but is that a good idea? will they take on that kind of problem. I guess I'm kind of venting here but I hate seeing an animal suffer.
she also hardly rides her horses or cares for them. Their rude ******s with bad manners. Like her one horse kicked/charged me down and she laughed. It was at the point where I would fear to catch my own horse. Now she wants to take on a foal to train.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Venting is good, especially when you feel you can't do anything. I'm not sure Animal Control will do anything. As long as the horse is being fed and watered and taken care of, they may not see what is going on as a problem.

It's hard to watch but if she's ignoring everyone then there isn't too much else I can think of. Hang in there!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha thanks that venting took a load off my chest. Yeah that's what I thought. Its sad cause I give this horse an estimate of three years to live at the rate shes going downhill before she has to be put down. =/

·
Registered
157 Posts
o_O do NOT let that person buy a foal!

Go back to the barn, watch a lesson, with that horse. Take your camera and videotape it then submit it to your local animal control explaining what's going on, not only with that one horse but with the very dangerous horses on the property.

Not only is that person abusing a horse, but she's putting lives in danger and she needs to be stopped now!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for agreeing, I have no idea how to stop her, she thinks she is master of all horses and can train this foal. - yet she can't ride my horse.
I should take a camera, but shes not in lessons anymore just jumps at her house, but I will find a way. My new barn owner supplies hay for her, so I can get her to check on them and see how their doing every so often.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh and shes been reading up and watching youtube videos on how to train a foal...

Foolish, I know.

·
Registered
157 Posts
... If she's trusting Youtube to train a horse, then she needs to go to some serious professional help. I know going to others for advice is great and all but if she has no idea to the point of relying on strangers via youtube... That's a sign, and not a good one.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agreed!
How would I tell her? I've been dropping hints all over that this isnt a good idea. Of course, she doesnt listen to me cause I'm 'younger (like half a year..) and haven't been around horses as long as her. '

·
Registered
157 Posts
How old is she and how long has she been around horses? I need to know before I get crazy =D

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
She's 19 (but acts like a 11year old) and has been around horses longer then 9 years - cause thats how long i've been around them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.