The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
How long do you want it to last for? Will the gullet and tree fit your horse? For the saddles material fit your riding style? (you mentioned jumping. But if it's going to get wet you probably want synthetic, if not leather is fine)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Another thing: what size stirrups? Will they fit you? (you want to put the stirrup on ball of foot and be able to fit finger on each side) will the seat size fit you? (when sitting in saddle do you have room for hand to be sideways between your rump and the edge of the cantle)

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
May be it'll work. Most likely it won't. If you get something that doesn't fit you'll run into problems in long run (muscles in wrong place, sore back, etc. etc.). And I wouldn't jump in saddle that doesn't fit at all personally.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd be happy for something to last a couple years... That's not really my concern.

As for fit, i'd do the best I could, however I ride western and this saddle would go on my horse once a week if that. I just started jumping and I want something to practice 2 point and basic position and balance exercises etc.

Here are some more ideas:

Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com Equiroyal Event Winner Saddle Package

Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com Equiroyal Pro Am All Purpose Saddle Package

Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com Equiroyal Regency Event Winner Saddle Package

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Why not to look into used one of good brand instead? I do understand the new stuff looks nice and shiny, but those starter packages are usually piece of junk, sorry.

Reactions: crimsonsky

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why not to look into used one of good brand instead? I do understand the new stuff looks nice and shiny, but those starter packages are usually piece of junk, sorry.
I actually am not against used saddles (that's mostly what I have so i still get the brand and quality).

I'm just not familiar with brands and such with english, and am not sure how far I will get with it or if I will do jumping or dressage. Just need something to get me somewhere...

Do you have any suggestions for used saddles (full saddle - ie. stirrups leathers, saddle, etc.) under $350.00

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
The Equiroyal Pro Am: Big no-no. It puts you in the worst chair seat ever. Not a good saddle to learn English.

It's a crappy package, like all of the ones posted.

I am hesitant to bash ALL packages, though, because my first saddle was a "crappy" package that cost $110 for saddle, bridle, leathers, and irons, and it was AWESOME. It was comfy, durable, functional, pretty, and fit the horse I rode perfectly. I found it on a no-name site on like, page 500 of Google. I wish I could find it again.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
168 Posts
If I were looking dor a good used english saddle I would get a used stubben. I picked mine up at a tack swap for 125 bucks. If not a subben there are many other english saddles that are also equally good (I just swear by stubben) like crosby, collegiate and passier. Also if you are looking for a synthetic...wintec are pretty decent and get the job done. I haven't owned one but know a lot of people that do and love the ease of cleaning. Or lack there-of. Hope I could be of some help!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Reason asked about how long you want it to last is because like everyone else has stated the starter packages are not worth it. They get to where they fall apart really soon. Then you have to spend more money to get another saddle. (if you decide to stick with english)
Try a used Wintec. I LOVE my Wintec. They are generally cheaper since they aren't leather and when bought used they usually have the stirrups and leathers. They also have the changeable gullet, which helps to get a better fit. The gullets can be found at almost every tack store.
Another recommendation is that you check the inventory at your local tack shop (if possible) that way you can hopefully get a saddle on trial and you don't have to pay lots if shipping to send a saddle back if it doesn't fit.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where do I look for used english saddles?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Craigslist. Horseclicks. Equinenow. Horse.com. Some tack shops even have used sections. Word of mouth works too.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Do you have any suggestions for used saddles (full saddle - ie. stirrups leathers, saddle, etc.) under $350.00
I'd say keep looking on tacktrader, ebay, craigslist and horseclicks. And here as well. Yes, I definitely have seen the used full package (may be even on this forum). :)

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
Try Pinnacle Horsewear and go into the menu on the left side. They are a few used consignment saddles. I've dealt with them and they are excellent to deal with. Pinnacle is an actual store. They had a Crosby in your price range and will even let you try a saddle and return it if it doesn't fit.

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
Regarding cheap saddles, the trees are always of questionable quality, usually raw wood which is subject to heat, humidity. The metal used in the pommel is low quality and is subject to cracking. These are unfixables. Never trust your life to these saddles as they never break when sitting on a saddle rack but maybe when popping over a log and you go crashing to the ground.

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
If you are unsure about the fit for your horse, There are plenty of used Wintecs that have interchangeable gullets. If the saddle doesn't fit well, you can simply buy another gullet and change it out. A decent compromise.

As for the Ebay packages, most of those saddles are poorly made and poorly balanced for both horse and rider. A poor option, IMO.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
One thing with saddles, you really get what you pay for when you buy new! That doesn't mean that you can't find a good, cheap one though, I would look for a quality used saddle before I would buy a new cheap one.

Saddles made by the top saddle makers can be life time saddles with the correct care and maintanance so don't be afraid to buy a saddle that is 10-20 years old providing the tree is sound and it is well stuffed. My first saddle was 10 years old but was made by one of the best saddle makers in Oz, that thing is as good today (now 25 years old) as it was the day I bought it, albeit with the panels re-stuffed once.

Of course the saddle needs to fit your horse so it will take some time to find the right one but it will be well worth it in the long run! I find local tack stores have rows and rows of used saddles, if it is at all possible for you to stretch to the $500 mark I think you could find a high quality pre-loved saddle that will suit you and your horse much better and be better for both of you in the long run.

Last word on cheap saddle packages - not only are they uncomfortable for your horse, I am quite certain that the people who design them are NOT horse riders as those saddles seem to make it IMPOSSIBLE to sit correctly yourself so it will impact your riding as well as your horse's comfort.

Happy shopping!

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
You could do a lot better getting a used saddle, and it would likely not cost you as much.
Agreed. If you were closer I'd sell you my 15 yo 17" cheaply made but super comfortably worn in English all-purpose. It needs new billets and a few stitches here or there--it will travel to the Amish saddle shop next month, along with some other saddles. I just can't give it up. It's very hard for me to ride/break in my new English saddles bc I know how great THIS one feels, but I don't want to do any more damage on it, so it sits in tack room, sigh, waiting for love.
And, btw, I can see how a badly balanced saddle can give you a chair seat.
I really prefer to handle a saddle before I buy it. Are there no auctions close to you? The ones near me sell tack first, horses 2nd, but the very first stuff sold is the used tack/other equipment.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've had great luck with used saddles on ebay. Just make sure they post a lot of pictures so you can see where there is any damage and underneath. I also HIGHLY suggest getting a good used leather saddle rather than a cheap synthetic package. I bought my daughter's first saddle at a tack shop with consignments for $325 but she soon found it uncomfortable as she advanced. Then I paid $400 for a used Stubben Edelweiss which is a GREAT jump saddle. My daughter wouldn't trade it for the world and we intend to keep it forever! I also recently got a high end used dressage sddle in perfect condition on ebay.

You have to know your size. An English saddle will likely run 1/2 to 1 size larger than your western. Dressage is 1/2 to 1 inch larger than an English. So, my daughter's Western Saddle is a 16" (bought on craiglist and what a steal--paid $300 for what was a $1900 saddle new). Her English jump is 16.5" and her new Dressage is 17.5 (with plenty of room so we could have gone with a 17").

There are lots of good used all-around Stubben's on ebay! Good luck!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.