The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my Paso Fino mare into our first pole bending race and barrel race last weekend. This was our first time actually running the courses. In pole bending we got a 38 sec (3rd place out of 4), and barrel racing we got a 33 sec (4th out of 4 by 1 sec). I know we can do better with practice, especially in barrel racing as I held her back. But are these decent times for our first race (btw it was a fun show)?

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Well did you have FUN at this fun show? That's the important part.

As far as "time", you can't really compare times between barrel patterns, or even pole bending patterns. Every arena is going to be a different size and every timer is going to be set up differently. Like at the National Finals Rodeo, a high 13-sec run will probably put you in the money. But at the Pendleton Round-Up, a low 30-sec run (I believe) should put you in the money. So it depends on the pattern size.

If you want to continue doing barrel racing and pole bending just for fun at these little fun show, do whatever you'd like.

However, if you actually want to train your horse properly for barrels and poles or think you may want to compete at a higher level than the fun shows, then you need to SLOW DOWN. It usually takes months of training before you ever lope the patterns, when you train a horse correctly for barrels and poles.

So it really depends on what your end goals are with your horse.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The most we will ever do is on our breed circuit, not the actual pole bending or barrel circuit. She just isn't fast enough for those I think.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.