The Horse Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I used to help a friend put his horses up for sale. Each time I put one up on cl I would get this rendition of an email. All money order and odd text. Total scam, move along.

Reactions: Chasin Ponies

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
"Beautiful 4 year old Bay! For sale or trade!" = was this by chance in your ad or description?

See the repetitiveness in their broken English? Not the grammar police or anything, but they are repeating themselves in one (particularly long) sentence.
Could be it's worse that that. It'd fairly easy (for a good programmer, anyway) to write a 'bot' that scans Craigslist &c, picks out likely targets, and mangles words & phrases from the original into a reply. Then you can send out replies to literally millions of ads, and if just one in 10,000 or so is suckered by it, you've got a nice income stream.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
I had one of those scam emails when I was selling a trailer. In it, they asked what my lowest price was, I told them, "For you, and just for you, the price is $10,000 certified cheque and you can pick up the trailer 2 weeks after I deposit the money." I was asking $3500 for the trailer :)

Never heard back.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
1000x scam.

Common ploy online with a lot of high ticket items - contact the seller, ask to pay for the item sight unseen (often offering MORE than asking price) and suggesting someone will come pickup the item or prepay for shipping.

Only after the item is gone do you discover that the money order was fake, or the cheque bounces, or the electronic money transfer emails you got were actually spoofs and not real.

Run away, run far far away.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Yep, scam. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who are gullible enough to fall for this type of thing.

There is a woman here in my town that got suckered into something similar. With her, it was an "Easy way to make money from home". I don't know all the details, but basically what happened is these scammers sent her fake money orders, she cashed them and sent a portion back to the scammer as a wire transfer or cashier's check and kept the rest for herself as "payment" for some menial task they asked her to do. She had already done this several times before the bank caught it (at the time, our bank was a locally owned bank, not a national type chain so it wasn't as connected to the rest of the economic world). She ended up on the hook for thousands of dollars.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi! So, as many of you know, I am in the process of selling a horse. I got a text today saying, "Hi seller, I'm interested in buying your Beautiful 4 year old Bay! For sale or trade!"I replied asking if they had any questions. "How long you had her, how many previous owners?" So I answered 1 year and 3 previous owners. They replied, "Thanks for getting back to me, I'll like you to know I live in North Dakota, and I will also like you to know I will handle the shipping myself and payment will be made through money order, and shipping charges will be added to the money order."

What would you do/say? Don't know what to do!
absolutely 100% a scam, do not respond to the ad definitely do not accept any checks or anything from him, the cashiers check or money order will be counterfeit...btw he is not in north dakota he is probably originating from cameroon or nigeria which is where most scams of this type are from.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I too am from North Dakota. Why would it be suspicious for someone here to want to buy your horse? I know of someone that bought a horse from Europe and paid $50,000 for it and had it shipped. I don't know if they had seen the horse in person or bought it unseen.

At least around here, money orders have a max limit. I think it is either $500 or $1000. Anything more than that, you could just as well get a cashiers check from the bank.

There's nothing wrong with using money orders. My wife does it all the time. She doesn't have or even want a checking account. Unless a money order is a fake, they have been paid for with cash. Checks can be written without money being in the bank. Money orders can be verified with the company that issued it.

It very well could be a scam. The person could be legit too. Since you're uneasy and unsure, just tell them that you won't sell your horse without them seeing the horse in person and leave it at that. If they really want the horse, they'll have to make the trip.

If you do decide to sell something to someone that wants to pay with a money order, tell them that you won't ship it until you make sure the funds have cleared your bank.
Posted via Mobile Device
She is priced at 375 and isn't registered which is why I was doubting someone from North Dakota would want her. Getting her would cost more than buying her!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Its is a scam. I got the almost the same email when I was selling a saddle on Tack Trader. Like it matters how many previous owners a saddle has had. Or how long I've owned it. They sent me a massive money order for my $400 saddle. I told the to rot in hell.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yep, when I listed my horse on Craigslist, I got an inquiry that was fairly brief and without typos asking for more photos and/or video, so I sent that, but then the next reply had a list of questions that was obviously standard no matter the item being sold, as it asked if my "item" had any dents or dings. :) Basically what he was born with, minus his testicles. :) I didn't reply to that e-mail, needless to say.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
SCAM. Pass on that one for sure.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts