The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new paint gelding that I am going to do WP with and he needs his mane cut/maybe thinned.
But this is a picture of my old mare that I cut her mane and it does look good to me, but I don't know if it is acceptable for western pleasure

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Are you familiar with pulling manes? Cutting looks very unnatural, so most people prefer to pull it and most judges prefer it. You will want a short mane (about 4") but you will want to do it by pulling

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
A short Banded Mane is what you want for showing WP. The Pic of your mares mane is typical look of pre banded mane:wink:.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know how to pull but I can go to the local stable and learn how I think. Thank you!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
They sell special scissors you can cut the mane with to give it a more natural look without pulling it. It's a huge time saver and I've met a few horses who didn't like having their manes pulled. Overall, I liked the result and couldn't tell the difference. I can't find them online right now, of course, but they are out there somewhere. I'll try to find a brand name on them if my friend still has them.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Slidestop, are you talking about thinning shears?

My Dad used to use a thinning razor to "pull" the manes on his show horses. It would shorten it to the right length without giving it the blunt scissor-cut look.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Slidestop, are you talking about thinning shears?

My Dad used to use a thinning razor to "pull" the manes on his show horses. It would shorten it to the right length without giving it the blunt scissor-cut look.
Could be, it was a few years ago.

Edit: yes, I believe they were.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
You can get thinning shears for peeps at a lot of places. Try WalMart or someplace like that...or a beauty supply if you want to pay more.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have some sorry of thinning shears. I want sure if that would cut it correctly though
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
343 Posts
The mane in the photo looks too long, and yes too thick. I prefer to thin the mane after it's banded, however (with thinning shears). It may just take a longer time to band a thick mane since you've got to do more bands.

Banded manes look best at no more than 3" long IMO. I usually do about the width of a credit card.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.