The Horse Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
We need more pictures than that to access. But at first first it does NOT fit the horse as it is too wide in front, causing it to sit downhill.

Can't answer "well enough" because it depends what is too wide. If the bar angle is too wide, there is nothing you can do to fix that.
If the bar angle is correct but the gullet is too wide, then you could possibly make it work with certain padding (like a shim).

Can you take a picture to show how the bar angle relates to the horse?

I would also take the cinch off and that trail pack off too, so we can see better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We need more pictures than that to access. But at first first it does NOT fit the horse as it is too wide in front, causing it to sit downhill.

Can't answer "well enough" because it depends what is too wide. If the bar angle is too wide, there is nothing you can do to fix that.
If the bar angle is correct but the gullet is too wide, then you could possibly make it work with certain padding (like a shim).

Can you take a picture to show how the bar angle relates to the horse?

I would also take the cinch off and that trail pack off too, so we can see better.
Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,899 Posts
Looks to me like the gullets way too narrow, but depends a little how thick/fluffy the lining. Looks at first glance that the saddle is too big/long, but it's possibly too far back(not something I often say). It should be clear of the scapula, but it appears there's a bit of flare to the front off the bars so may be not putting pressure there if they were over the scapula a bit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks to me like the gullets way too narrow, but depends a little how thick/fluffy the lining. Looks at first glance that the saddle is too big/long, but it's possibly too far back(not something I often say). It should be clear of the scapula, but it appears there's a bit of flare to the front off the bars so may be not putting pressure there if they were over the scapula a bit.
It is a new saddle so the lining is pretty thick still and it is supposedly for a gaited horse so I believe it is flared somewhat at the front.

·
Registered
49,421 Posts
you could try moving it an inch more forward. It looks like the cinch will pull it forward anyway once it is done up. the lift in the back would mean it is either too wide in front, or is too 'dished', meaning too curved in tree shape for a hosre with a flat back . have you run your hand under it to see if it feel tighter in the middle than at the front or rear. ? (that is the opposite of 'bridging'). If that is the case, no amount of shimming will make it right.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
My opinion is that it's not too wide, it's too narrow in front. You couldn't add a saddle pad without making it too tight. I think it is in the right place, with the front of the tree just behind the shoulder. But it just doesn't fit. It has too much rock or curve in the tree, which makes it lift in the back. Repositioning or padding will not make this saddle fit him. The saddle is very long in relation to the length of the horse's back, which means it has to fit the slope/angle of the entire back, which it doesn't.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I agree with @gottatrot, I think it is too narrow as well as too much lift in the tree making it sit too high in the rear. This saddle doesn't fit the horse at all. The only thing I don't agree with is that it is too long. All the other fit problems just make it look that way.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
The saddle passes the last rib so it is not going to work.
That guideline relates to english saddles. Western saddles have a larger surface area to distribute the weight and can sit behind the last rib. However, the longer a saddle is, the less likely the tree will match the plane of the horse's back.

·
Registered
676 Posts
The last rib guideline relates to the weight bearing area rather than the type of saddle. A western saddle's tree is flared at the end and the leather extends past the end of the tree. But the weight bearing area which ends at the beginning of the flare should end also at the last rib just as in an english saddle.

Reactions: denny2133

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
With the additional pictures, there are many things wrong with that saddle fit and it will NOT work. It sits "perched" on the horse's back which would indicate the gullet and/or bar angle is too narrow. You're zoomed in so far so it is hard to tell, but bar angle might be too narrow as well. And it's still coming up in the back so likely the rock is too much as well.

Pass on this one. Keep looking.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts