The Horse Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I have about had it. I searched and tried on-market and custom supps. for my hay/pasture - and my horse won't eat them. Healthy. Teeth are fine. Wormed a couple of months ago. No ulcers.

I have tried slowly increasing the supps. and adding some "junk" food (molasses or a handful of oatmeal) and that did not work. I'd let her out of her stall and she'd eat the fallen crumbles of the other horses' food. I think that I may have made her picky? Can you do that? Before I got into horse nutrition, she'd eat whatever. She'd eat a rock if you hand-fed it. Now, hay pellets or a handful of mini-wheats and she refuses. She is not losing any weight, so I'm not worried about that, but she is browning (she's black) and her hooves are not as great (I have a good farrier on a four week schedule, so that's not it).

I am going to try CA Trace again. I asked HT, but they would not do pellets. It's not medication, so she does not HAVE to have it, but you know... I was thinking about CA Trace *pellets* in a bucket and leaving her in her stall until she eats them. She has eaten them plain (on it's own, no carrier) before, but then she started refusing them. I am still going to do the slow introduction, but I won't let her out until she eats. I do not want to syringe, as she is a PAIN to syringe (yes, I did that applesauce "training", but it did not work). I do not want to fight her everyday. She's outside 24/7, 365 with free choice grass and hay, so I am thinking she is not hungry enough to eat CA Trace...? She has never been hungry a day in her life. She's actually a little fat, so... that's bad. Will hunger and boredom reduce pickiness? Surely she won't starve herself, right? Is this mean?

I hear about the horror stories of horses that ulcer when not on constant food, but she is not ulcer prone (never had an ulcer, ever), but I don't know... She is okay with being stalled, so not a stress ulcer. I don't want to go back to a ration balancer because of the extra calories and not balanced to my grass/pasture.

Why do these things always happen?

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
If it was me? I'd just drop it. She's happy and healthy right now. So she's sun-fading like many black horses, big deal. If it offends you that much, make her wear a sheet. Millions of horses live out their lives without supplements. Yours could be one of them.

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If it was me? I'd just drop it. She's happy and healthy right now. So she's sun-fading like many black horses, big deal. If it offends you that much, make her wear a sheet. Millions of horses live out their lives without supplements. Yours could be one of them.
While, yes, I would like for a black horse to stay black, it is her hooves and Vit. E deficiency that really offends me. No hoof = no horse. And I can see her Vit. E deficiency when off supps.; she displays some signs. She is temporarily a ration balancer right now (Vit. E = 2,000 IU), but I'd like a condensed one without the "extras."

Reactions: JoBlueQuarter

·
Registered
7,841 Posts
If it's primarily an issue about adding Vit E, Kentucky Equine Research's Nano-E as a pour-over on top of a carrier like pellets, beet pulp, whatever else she's eating, is probably your best solution.

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's primarily an issue about adding Vit E, Kentucky Equine Research's Nano-E as a pour-over on top of a carrier like pellets, beet pulp, whatever else she's eating, is probably your best solution.
Not just Vit. E, but that is a very concerning one. My hay/grass has about 1/2 the NRC Zn (200 ish mg) and Cu (55 ish mg) minimum and 0 Se for a horse of her weight/size, so I'd really like to supp. those too. We have over 1700 mg of Fe, so that's also why I don't want to permanently be on a RB.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I used California Trace for my black Arab and it really made a big difference with his hooves 8 months later. He did not sun bleach much after that either. But he did not like eating Cal Trace and would leave the just pellets (how do they do that?). So I would crush the pellets into a powder, dampen his feed and mix it in an he ate it fine. Next batch I switched to the powder

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used California Trace for my black Arab and it really made a big difference with his hooves 8 months later. He did not sun bleach much after that either. But he did not like eating Cal Trace and would leave the just pellets (how do they do that?). So I would crush the pellets into a powder, dampen his feed and mix it in an he ate it fine. Next batch I switched to the powder
I got the sample (about a month ago), and they sent both the powder and the pellets. I tried the powder-wetted-in-feed and she would not touch it. :( She originally ate the pellets then stopped for some reason...?

·
Registered
3 Posts
What about switching to a different supplement. It seems to be really expensive Anyway tribute 12-8 mineral sounds good, and i know tribute feeds is one of the best feeds from experience they have other supplements and feeds you might find one that the horse will like .hope this helps you

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I got the sample (about a month ago), and they sent both the powder and the pellets. I tried the powder-wetted-in-feed and she would not touch it. :( She originally ate the pellets then stopped for some reason...?
What kind of feed did you use and how much? I used Purina Active Senior which is very tasty. I used 1 scoop stirred into a 28 ounce tomato can full of feed twice a day. Dampened so the powder would stick. My new horse is also fed Cal Trace also with no problem. I like the amount of biotin, lysine and methionine

Crude Protein, not less than …………. 31.0%
Lysine, not less than …………….. 10,000 MG
Methionine, not less than ……….. 3,500 MG
Threonine, not less than ………….. 5,000 MG
Copper, not less than ………………… 300 MG
Zinc, not less than ……………………. 750 MG
Iodine ……………………………………… 3.5 MG
Cobalt …………………………………….. 5.0 MG
Selenium …………………………………. 2.0 MG
Vitamin A ……………………………… 15,000 IU
Vitamin E ……………………………….. 1,950 IU
Biotin ………………………………………. 20 MG

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
I feed Omega Horseshine (basically ground flax with some added biotin and other nutrients) and paprika with about a cup of senior feed (for taste) to my black mare and she loves it and is as black and shiny as can be. The Omega Horseshine and senior feed taste great so I would start feeding those and then add in Paprika if she likes the Horseshine/Senior. She hardly gets any supplements because she's fat also, but about 1 cup senior, 1/2 cup Horseshine, 1 tablespoon salt and 1-2 tablespoons paprika is what she gets every day. :smile:

Oh, and her hooves are also great, I keep her barefoot and still have to trim them because the are very tough.

PS. I don't like the Tractor Supply version of Horseshine (Dumor Shine). The Horseshine is worth the extra $20 as it's almost 100% flax. The Dumor had rice bran, oats, and I don't know what else, but it doesn't smell or look the same as Omega Horseshine.

Another note: Paprika is in a lot of supplements for black horses as it's supposed to help keep them black but apparently it's a prohibited substance if you show. I don't show, so I don't worry about it, but I thought I would mention it in case you do.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
My new horse is a black bay. Here is his dark buckskin-like color in the summer. His winter coat has come in all black except for some scattered yellow hairs on his barrel. Is there some kind of dye I could dab on with cotton balls? It is silly I know but it bugs me. I used to dab dark auburn Lady Clairol on the face of my mare that lived to be 40 when she started getting 'mossy headed' and grey around the eyes. Now that I have also become 'mossy headed' I use Lady Clairol too.

The black Arabian I used to have would sun bleach some in the summer (he was not homozygous, but heterozygous for black). But after he grew in a coat on Cal Trace he remained black as coal. But Cal Trace will probably not make any difference in a black bay.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
What would Cal Trace have in it that makes a horse stay black? My Pony already gets copper, and he still fades in the summer.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
I don't know. Probably the lysine, methionine and biotin since these help hoof horn and hair.
Oh. He gets those, too.

I had looked into Cal Trace, but I needed the low selenium kind, which only came in a powder, and I didn't think my guys would eat it.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I feed Omega Horseshine (basically ground flax with some added biotin and other nutrients) and paprika with about a cup of senior feed (for taste) to my black mare and she loves it and is as black and shiny as can be. The Omega Horseshine and senior feed taste great so I would start feeding those and then add in Paprika if she likes the Horseshine/Senior. She hardly gets any supplements because she's fat also, but about 1 cup senior, 1/2 cup Horseshine, 1 tablespoon salt and 1-2 tablespoons paprika is what she gets every day. :smile:

Oh, and her hooves are also great, I keep her barefoot and still have to trim them because the are very tough.

PS. I don't like the Tractor Supply version of Horseshine (Dumor Shine). The Horseshine is worth the extra $20 as it's almost 100% flax. The Dumor had rice bran, oats, and I don't know what else, but it doesn't smell or look the same as Omega Horseshine.

Another note: Paprika is in a lot of supplements for black horses as it's supposed to help keep them black but apparently it's a prohibited substance if you show. I don't show, so I don't worry about it, but I thought I would mention it in case you do.
Centex, maybe you and I should try feeding paprika. That or dab on Lady Clairol....:)

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
What would Cal Trace have in it that makes a horse stay black? My Pony already gets copper, and he still fades in the summer.
Copper is the main one, but I think that the Zinc helps too.

Keep in mind that with horse nutrition, everything is a balance. Preferably, Iron (Fe), Zinc (Zn), Manganese (Mn), and Copper (Cu) are at most a 10:4:4:1. However, it is better to have a "tighter" ratio of about 4:3:3:1. Some wiggle room of about 3-5:3-4:3-4:1. Tighter is better, but don't go under 3 or over supp. into toxicity (duh). Minerals interact with one another. Some block if in excess. So, even if you have "enough" of one mineral, it could be blocked by another, as if you don't have the full dose.

ALSO, in the summer, sweat bleaches like crazy. I hose my horse off almost every time I see her in the summer. It's super hot, so it's fun for her. :)

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I might try senior feed as a carrier instead of Timothy Pellets (she hates those now lol). What about senior feed is so yummy?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I have eaten Purina Active Senior. It tastes grainy and sweetish. There are different shapes of pellets in it that taste different. Some senior feeds have a lot of molasses- not good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts