Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Apologies in advance, I know how irritating threads like this are but i'd rather ask experienced folk before getting a vet out if it's not necessary!
In August, I bought Missy and soon after, found out she had being covered in April (2013) :oops:
So we suspected she was in foal since then (haven't had a vet as saving money in case of emergency call out should she foal). Everything has been smooth sailing so far but today I took off her rug and found this lump under her tum! Before I call the vet, I thought i'd ask you breeding folk if it's normal or anything to be concerned about?

Please excuse my inexperience, I am a total novice to all of this (Meaning foals) :oops:

Photo's:

And udder:

Does anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Many pregnant mares will have edema/swelling due to fluid retention. Gravity forces it to lay at the lowest part of the belly.

its hard to say if that's what's going on or if its something else.

the swelling comes and goes in many pregnant mares.

if she was covered in April, then your looking at a March foaling date. my mare started to bag up in early february. 6 Weeks before foaling.

good luCk. The foal should be very active now if she is bred. Unfortunately the only way to know for sure is to see feet.comig out...

she does need to have pre-foaling shots though. 30 Days prior to foaling so the foal will have sufficient antibodies to be healthy as possible.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: PonioUK

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many pregnant mares will have edema/swelling due to fluid retention. Gravity forces it to lay at the lowest part of the belly.

its hard to say if that's what's going on or if its something else.

the swelling comes and goes in many pregnant mares.

if she was covered in April, then your looking at a March foaling date. my mare started to bag up in early february. 6 Weeks before foaling.

good luCk. The foal should be very active now if she is bred. Unfortunately the only way to know for sure is to see feet.comig out...

she does need to have pre-foaling shots though. 30 Days prior to foaling so the foal will have sufficient antibodies to be healthy as possible.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thank you for your reply! She was covered in April but was living with the stallion for a year so it could be earlier/later. We just don't know. I will have the vet out for the pre-foaling shots, that isn't an issue.

We have seen movement, but didn't want to say for definite in case we were wrong but here it is:

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Wow, I would say with 99% confidence that that's foal movement.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
LoL, I did the nail test with my girl (confirmed in foal by multiple ultrasounds) It said I was having a colt...I got a filly. :D
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LoL, I did the nail test with my girl (confirmed in foal by multiple ultrasounds) It said I was having a colt...I got a filly. :D
Posted via Mobile Device
Haha! I had a few dreams about her foaling a piebald colt before the test and then it said colt and I was like 'WAHEY!' :lol: (They say you can trick the nail into what gender you like)
But I have a feeling she may throw a filly!

·
Administrator
36,316 Posts
It does look like foal movement - and possible since you can see it that clearly a large foal.
I've never seen a swelling like that in any brood mare I've had so it would worry me
I don't suppose you know what she was bred too?
I think if she was mine I'd have the vet out to check her over and get her vaccinations done at the same time just in case it is a really big foal or even twins - better to be prepared

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It does look like foal movement - and possible since you can see it that clearly a large foal.
I've never seen a swelling like that in any brood mare I've had so it would worry me
I don't suppose you know what she was bred too?
I think if she was mine I'd have the vet out to check her over and get her vaccinations done at the same time just in case it is a really big foal or even twins - better to be prepared
Oh yes. The stallion was (at 3) a 14hh Cob. She stands at 11hh so I didn't even think it would be possible!

·
Administrator
36,316 Posts
If she was mine I would get her checked - she needs those shots anyway
Most mares seem to be able to produce a foal that fits them when you breed a large to a small - but I had one that got into trouble because the foal was really big - he survived OK - and a mare where I worked had a similar problem but also survived OK - both needed immediate help when foaling though

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If she was mine I would get her checked - she needs those shots anyway
Most mares seem to be able to produce a foal that fits them when you breed a large to a small - but I had one that got into trouble because the foal was really big - he survived OK - and a mare where I worked had a similar problem but also survived OK - both needed immediate help when foaling though
Thank you for your advice. I shall call the vets in the morning and explain the situation. Thankfully the horse vet is in the same village as my yard so he can get here pretty sharpish!
Do you know roughly how much these shots cost or does it change with area?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Oh, you definitely have to start a foaling thread! Hopefully the lump is nothing. My friend's mare had something similar and she asked the vet when we went for Lilly's US. The way the vet explained it was that sometimes mares retain water when they're pregnant and gravity pulls it down to the lowest point or something along those lines. Still good to double check though.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I shall start a foaling thread tomorrow! Lots of photo's and updates!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Administrator
36,316 Posts
The UK is a really small country so costs actually don't vary that much. Running costs are more expensive for Vets in the Greater London area and surrounding counties where rents and property prices are higher so you would expect to find their charges to be slightly more
This is the time when you need to be sure you have a good vet on board!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The UK is a really small country so costs actually don't vary that much. Running costs are more expensive for Vets in the Greater London area and surrounding counties where rents and property prices are higher so you would expect to find their charges to be slightly more
This is the time when you need to be sure you have a good vet on board!!
Lump wasn't there today, had a feel and a poke and couldn't feel anything. Missy didn't bat an eyelid so no pain. The horse vet here is brilliant :)

·
Administrator
36,316 Posts
That's good - great that you have a vet you can have confidence in as well. It makes such a difference

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.