The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have our land cross fenced. Two horses stay on 9 acres. One is on 4 acres heavily wooded. The front field has a bad fence and the next door studs are on that fence. We don't put horses up there anymore until a better fence is built. My gelding that's still trying to gain weight is in a paddock I built for him. It's about twice as wide as a dressage arena. He has a barn and a round bale to himself 24/7. He has other horses on all sides of him. They eat next to each other but are separated by a fence. I either hand walk him or work him very lightly almost every day. I know it's big enough for him to run around in. I've seen Him do it. He's actually stopped weaving. He's an OTTB and came off the track in 2008. He was an only horse at his previous home and kept in an area the size of a round pen. He doesn't seem stressed out. Just took him to the chiropractor today. He doesn't seem to have pent up energy and seems happy. I love that he isn't buddy sour and doesn't act like an idiot because the other horse walked away from the fence. I think it makes him more confident being alone. I've never had a good experience turning the horses out with each other. They ran my previous OTTB into a fence. I couldn't ride my Arab for 3 months because he kept getting bites on his back. He hated other horses. So as long as he's happy and doesn't freak then it's ok to keep him in his own paddock? I've been getting flak for not letting him out on the 9 acres to "run around for 30 minutes". I see no purpose in that. He has no pent up energy. And I really don't wanna chase him around for 2 hrs trying to catch him. He's still new here. I can't afford for him to fight over the fence with the neighbors many horses or get hurt. I want to make him my eventer and I'll be sending him to the trainer. I know in his paddock there's no holes he can step in. He hasn't gotten any cuts on him. He stopped weaving the first month he was here.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
99 Posts
Horses are generally happier in a herd, but as long as he is getting exercise and has enough room to comfortably move around, it isn't a horrible thing to keep a horse alone. I know plenty of people that only turn out in individual paddocks to prevent bite marks and reduce the likelihood of an injury.

Maybe look into finding a buddy that he gets along with to keep in with him?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well he doesn't seem bothered by being alone and if I got a buddy for him I couldn't feed him. He's still underweight and being an OTTB shows a lot of anxiety while eating. I don't think trying to keep another animal away from the food would help his anxiety. Like I said he seems perfectly happy yet I'm getting attacked by my "friends" for it because their horses can't stand being away from one another. I don't see an issue with separating because I can't afford for him to not be rideable because of a horse inflicted injury.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Most of the barns I have boarded at did individual turn out, but they were all western pleasure show barns. My now deceased mare didn't seem to mind. She was always getting beat up when I boarded her at a barn that had group turn out, and was always kind of the loner. She would graze by herself most of the time. None of the horses seemed any worse for it either. I know it was to prevent them from getting beat up by other horses and potentially not looking pretty at shows, LOL.

My current horse is boarded at a barn that has mares, geldings, and donkeys all turned out together. They are all kind of herd bound to each other which can make going on outings and to shows a little frustrating, but we are working through it.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes that's what I don't want to happen qhdragon. Getting beat up and herd bound. I'd rather him be herd bound to me. Plus if I move he will be all on his own so might as well learn I suppose :/
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't think it's wrong of you to keep him by himself. As long as he gets his excerise! My guy is a loner and could care less about being in his herd (although he will stand up for himself) but I love it because he is not buddy sour.

But I know what kind of pressure your "friends" are putting on you. I'm going through the same thing with blanketing. They all blanket and I do not. He is perfectly content in this weather, is a fuzz ball and I check on him all the time. I'm so mean, lol.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think it's wrong of you to keep him by himself. As long as he gets his excerise! My guy is a loner and could care less about being in his herd (although he will stand up for himself) but I love it because he is not buddy sour.

But I know what kind of pressure your "friends" are putting on you. I'm going through the same thing with blanketing. They all blanket and I do not. He is perfectly content in this weather, is a fuzz ball and I check on him all the time. I'm so mean, lol.
Exactly! Yes he gets his exercise and is even a little lazy. Lol. I blanket in really cold weather because he is still a bit underweight. I can't stand a buddy sour horse! I love it when your horse comes up to you and wants to be your buddy and be with you. Why can't people mind their own business? Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: peppersonlygirl
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.