The Horse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Per @horselovinguy 's excellent suggestion, I think I would like to have a pedestal made for training exercises. What do you guys think about this one (it would be the square one that is the second item the page talks about, 1 foot by 4 feet by 4 feet)? Do you think 3/4 inch plywood, reinforced as shown in the pictures, would hold a horse's weight? Our heaviest horse is probably 1100 pounds.

https://www.pauldufresne.com/buildprops.html

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Do you need to be able to move it? Most around here are made from tires (ranging from car tire to large tractor tire) or a box of wood made from 4x4's and filled with packed dirt.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you need to be able to move it? Most around here are made from tires (ranging from car tire to large tractor tire) or a box of wood made from 4x4's and filled with packed dirt.
Yes I think we would need to move it. I asked my husband (who would be the one making it) if he could put recessed handles in the side, so I could take one side and my daughter could take the other, and we could move it. We board, and I can't imagine that the barn owner would like to have that thing just sitting around all the time.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I just had one built for Rusty - I used these plans: https://animals.mom.me/build-horse-...9xFQg0wEAou840ghfdaPN_KoJDbsFPo8dthX4u8uZ8KfI

But my builder didn't use plywood - he used 2 x 4s. Eveything is reinforced from the inside, but it's nice and smooth on the outside. So far so good, and I can actually move it by myself, but have to slide it around (I need to put handles on it). I would not go any less heavy duty than this!

Photos of my goofball showing off. He'll literally walk up to it, put a hoof on, and stand there forever, hoping I'll notice and give him a treat. I don't, btw, not unless I asked for the behavior because otherwise he won't stop doing it randomly.

I do find the top can be a tad slippery so I bought a product that is a spray-on non-stick surface to help with that.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Went back and looked at the plans you posted to compare. It might be ok if you use 2 x 4s perpendicular to the joists underneath instead of plywood.

·
Super Moderator
14,686 Posts
Do you think 3/4 inch plywood, reinforced as shown in the pictures, would hold a horse's weight? Our heaviest horse is probably 1100 pounds.

No, 3/4" plywood is not thick enough to support 1100 pounds in my opinion.
My paint horse is 1265, and stood on a "bridge" trail obstacle made from solid oak pallets 3/4" thick top...he cracked it, thankfully he has a brain and did not panic while he actually hopped back and away from the bridge obstacle..

Based on that....no plywood that thick is not strong enough.
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool, 2x4s it is. Thanks everyone!

Reactions: Acadianartist
1 - 9 of 9 Posts