The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the mare in question is mid-teens standardbred. Has an area about the size of a piece of paper on one leg that is grey. Mare has a half sister who is older, this mare has areas of grey ticking on the shoulders and a little grey on the flanks but not obvious. The mare has no known injury to the area. None of the mares offspring show this patterning. Fur Skin Horse Snout Liver

Horse Liver Mare Mane Snout

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Doesn't look like it. Just an odd little collection of white hairs in one spot. Rabicano doesn't really go down a leg like that and she doesn't have any other indications of it.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some grey hairs on her butt and a little patch like the picture but on her barrel. She did race but its not in a location that would lead me to believe it was the result of an equipment rub and its not pure white like a scar. I just am puzzled by it. I look at it and I am like "thats weird".

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
Not unknown for trotting horses to be put in hobbles to make them learn to pace. I have seen terrible videos of horses in hobbles for the first time. Maybe your horse was put in them but injured himself when he didn't learn to deal with them. Possibly, after that, he only did trot races.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope horse was bred, raced and a broodmare for us. Horse was trotting bred and trotting raced. The trainer was actually pretty solid and trained for us for years. I would be shocked if she wore pacing hobbles ever.

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
That kind of "scarring" doesn't have to come from an open wound. Impact wounds and other closed injuries can cause the hair to blanch, too. The horse may have tried to jump something and rammed itself. It sure looks like something like that to me.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is possible that it was the result of an injury; however, I have never heard such an injury mentioned. She is out at pasture currently. She was pin fired on the front legs but no lameness or injury was ever known to me that involved her hind end. I just thought it odd because her half sister has a similar sort of patch on her withers. That mare has literally never been worked, that it might be genetic.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree and if the mare had ever worn a saddle or a harness I would say its a rub mark. The thing is the horse has never worn either. We have had her since the day she was born. She has bad hocks and a rather serious leg injury so she never went to the track. The only thing that mare is broke to wear is a halter. She has never left our property and never worn anything (blankets included) other than a halter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.