The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a 25 year old collegiate close contact saddle.

Is it even fixable or worth fixing? I may just sell it as is, but probably wouldn't get much for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Probably not - from the prices I've seen for replacing the underside of a saddle or even just one panel...yeah, no. Maybe if you found a leather worker that could just patch it, maybe...

I just sold a less than 10 year old Collegiate for ~$600, I can't imagine if you fixed & sold the saddle, that you would get the money back.

·
Registered
14,633 Posts
I bought one about that old, no damage, for a student. $50.

·
Super Moderator
14,695 Posts
At that age, this is probably one of the last that saddler Pessoa had any input/control over when he worked for Collegiate.
The saddle if in good condition, would go possibly $200 - $300. The only reason even that much is because the fashion/fad right now is to have the knee-roll flap seen, not a single piece of cowhide making the flap from.
Did you look on Ebay at what these saddles are being "offered" for sale at?

Sadly it isn't just the under-panel stuffing, but looking at the picture the saddle flap edge itself is severely cracked...that is the cracking of death seen
I would not give you $50 for that saddle as it looks and even if you invested the money for new under-panels, it isn't worth it...it just isn't.
You're going to lose any invested in fixing.
I'm sorry, but I would not invest anything other than a thought for it.
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
787 Posts
In my locale, the Amish would glue a leather patch over that cracked area for maybe $7-$10 at most, and the saddle would be quite usable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts