The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
It was definitely NOT because he is an Appendix QH. I had a 3yo that I gave to my friend to use as a kids babysitter because he was so laid back...and he was OT no less. It was pretty funny watching a 16.2 hand horse with 5 little kids lined up on his back wandering around the back yard!

My guess is a combination of "just that particular horse" mixed with what sounds like your friends less than appropriate riding methods. You say her other horse is bucking too, well, your friend is the only common denominator.

EDIT: Doh, gotta remember to check the age of the thread before posting! :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
It was definitely NOT because he is an Appendix QH. I had a 3yo that I gave to my friend to use as a kids babysitter because he was so laid back...and he was OT no less. It was pretty funny watching a 16.2 hand horse with 5 little kids lined up on his back wandering around the back yard!

My guess is a combination of "just that particular horse" mixed with what sounds like your friends less than appropriate riding methods. You say her other horse is bucking too, well, your friend is the only common denominator.

EDIT: Doh, gotta remember to check the age of the thread before posting! :)
It's almost never about the horse but almost always about the owner!!

Super Nova

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have owned 2 appendix horses. I still have One sadly had to sell the other one because he wasnt getting rode enough. They had the best dispositions.! I love them.! They are very very laid back and do whatever i asked of them. Best horses ive ever owned.

·
Registered
924 Posts
My QH mare's first foal was by a TB stallion, aka Appendix QH. He was fiesty and frisky as a baby, but what young foal isn't. We had him gelded at 10 months and keep him just past his 2 year birthday. When he was started under saddle he had no buck in him at all. I rode him for a couple of months before selling him and never had a bit of any problems with him. A friend of ours bought him and he is now and has been for about 8 years now a Civil War Re-Enactment mount.

·
Registered
46 Posts
One of the horses I ride at my barn is an Appendix and he is fine! He is a very good boy-I've jumped him 2'6"-2'9" with a problem-and the only reason he has gotten his rider off before is because he stopped and it was the rider's fault. He is not the horse for me because I find that he doesnt have much of a personality(my opinion). I guess every horse is different and it was just y'alls bad luck for getting a crazy one!

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Appendix is simply a TB/QH cross. Temperament comes from genetics and behavior combines genetics and training. Even a well-bred, basically gentle and well-trained horse can become a monster if allowed.
There is NO GUARANTEE that any horse breed or mix will get you a well-behaved gentle horse...EVER.

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
Thread's from 2008, and the OP hasn't been back since 2009. I'm pretty sure it's a rather moot point by now. :wink:

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
Sure! What kinda kitties? The nice, soft, purry kind, or the ones that sharpen their claws while giving you the 'Soon' look? :p

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
To me they are one of the very best mixes. The one currently in the barn is about 16.3 hh, and the most amazing athlete I've ever met. He also will come running from acres away when you call his name and is a huge lover. His only vice is being very mischievous with his pasture mates.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
The sweet ones, like the kittens we just adopted. We've been keeping the 2 boys and their mom on the porch since late last month, watching for her to go into heat, and then get her fixed. BUT, unbeknownest to US, she came pregnant, soooooo, we're going from 1 (11yo) female (fixed) cat, to 4 (total) cats to ??? #, in about 3 weeks.
I'll take pictures.
The little black kitten, almost 3mo. old, tried to crawl up your jean legs looking for mice. He and his brother will be very happy when they get to go outside and climb our cool kitty trees, and clean up the field mice. =D

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I tried out many Appendix. Not a one was mean. If it weren't for a calcium build + heart murmur that the owner tried to hide, one of those QHxTBs would be in my backyard at this moment. I've never even heard that theory? But I will agree that there are just some horses that you can't do anything for. I had a QH that hated everything, bucked, bolted, bit .... and he was just a QH. Just like someone said before - Not all Australlians are ugly, Not all english people are stupid. Not all Appendixs are mean ;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have heard that some appendix lines can be a bit hotter and tougher to handle like the Go Man Go horses but I have also heard that about plain old quarter horses used for cutting to. I think your friend just got a rotten horse that either had something wrong with him phiscally or was trained really well to buck people off. I have rode some of these and seen a few guys hurt on horses like these as well. Know a days I just don't bother.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had a 4 y/o filly appendix- Shining Spark Lines was the sweetest horse ive had and she was easy to break never had a problem with her..

Now i have Capone a 2.5-3 y/o gelding appendix and hes double bred dash for cash.. and he is so laid back and not mean nor pushy

·
Registered
332 Posts
We had an appendix for several years, had to put him down earlier this year and I hated to lose him. He was not mean at all. A complete deadhead...but in a good way. He was the most intimidating thing here, he was huge!, but he was so gentle and loving. He was bred for barrels, could turn on a dime, and was fast, but he loved to just take these leisurely strolls and wouldn't go faster than a walk if he didn't have to. He wasn't spooky at all, extremely friendly, loved kids. He was just a really, really good horse. He had horrible feet though and that ultimately was his downfall.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have one that is very nice :) sometimes she gets mad when you discipline her though but has never bucked or done anything mean
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
That horse wasn't mean so much as she was overhorsed.

And I've never seen them to be mean, but sometimes the TB will make them much more reactive to things.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have a 7 year old and he can be mean sometimes, but sweet as pudding other times. He did buck alot when I first got him, but he hasn't done that for a few months now and I trust that he won't unless he gets really startled by something. He does try to bite, especially when I put his saddle on, which I am going to have a chiropractor investigate because it is so weird. he can be quite stubborn, but all and all he is a pretty good horse. I let my 8 yo and 15 yo girls ride him and he seems to know to be gentle with the kiddos. I like the breed and he is the prettiest horse I have ever seen. (unbiased opinion of course :)

·
Registered
688 Posts
I also own an Appendix..Princess yes, mean not in any way.
funny I have heard this about ponies..shortman's syndrome although I have never known a mean pony either XD

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.