The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I have an appendix. I wouldn't call her mean. She's spirited and thrives at work though. She requires an experienced rider.

A friend of mine also has an appendix. He's a very sweet tempered horse and is very willing to do just about anything.

I don't think its a "breed quality". I think some horses are mean sometimes.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have a grade racking horse who can be grouchy. Does that mean all grade racking horses are grouchy?

Excuse me, but everytime I hear "all".. or "always" I get a little bit nervous. My father was the son of Swedish immigrants. Do you know how many "dumb Swede" jokes I've heard? Are all Swedes stupid? Are all blondes dumb? Are Irish always drunkards? This whole thread makes just about as much sense.

·
Registered
99 Posts
We have a 17.2hh Appendix at my barn and he was the sweetest horse I've ever met . He has THE biggest personality, and he is such a character . I adore him . :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is it true that Appendix Quarter Horses are mean? Ive heard this around but never thought anything of it. Until... My friend got a 9-year-old Appendix Quarter Horse for showing and jumping. When she tested him out he was great and also at first and then...He was always kinda pushy. He constantly bucked with her and tried to get her off. Well he achieved. He bucked her off about 4 times and the last time he bucked her off, he also kicked her in the face and broke her cheek and knocked some teeth out! Then he bucked a lady off and broke her shoulder!! OUCH!! They ended up giving him away to a trainer who knew what he was all about!! She was also constantly showing him every weekend. It was kinda stressful on her and him and before she bought the horse, he had been with his mom, dad and brother for 9 years. So is this true or was it just this one horse? Could it just be stress or what? maybe the rider? cause she has a AQHA gelding and he bucks all the time too but her new warmblood is like perfect with her!!
SRY FOR THE LENGTH!!
I don't think you can generalize temperament of a breed with one horse. When a horse bucks a lot, my question is what hurts? What is the horse telling me? I often think that we misdiagnose pain for bad behavior. Something to consider. I just bred my OTTB to a reining QH stud. My mare is smart, athletic, fast and can be volatile/spooky. The stud is smart, calm, athletic and a sweet boy. I will be so excited to see what the foal takes on from the sire and from my mare. I don't think I will get one or the other, I will get a combination.

·
Super Moderator
22,784 Posts
Is it true that Appendix Quarter Horses are mean?
No. It's in the same realm as 'arabs are psycho' or 'appaloosas are mad' or 'warmbloods are thick'. It is purely & simply an unfounded superstitious bias, like any 'racism'.

Contrary to 'meanness', while of course there are breeders who aren't particular about temperament, so there are lines that are less... easy, QH's have been bred for 'trainability', to be easygoing. TB's - what QH's have been x'd with to get the 'appendix' - are also by no means 'mean', but they are, as a general rule, more sensitive, reactive horses than QH's. And as a rule, any horse, regardless of breed, who is 'mean' has been made that way by some human.

He was always kinda pushy. He constantly bucked with her and tried to get her off. Well he achieved. He bucked her off about 4 times and the last time he bucked her off, he also kicked her in the face and broke her cheek and knocked some teeth out!
Wow, she is very lucky to have only gotten a broken cheek & a few lost teeth! 'Pushy' may well be just lack of 'manners', be that that he was never taught any in the first place, or that he learned that with her he didn't need them, could push her around. Bucking is generally due either to fear or pain. It can become a learned behaviour though, that the horse does in absence of the original cause, because it worked to get rid of the problem on his back.

So... what you describe is not a 'mean' horse - to me, that means aggressive. It's just a... horse. Responding & reacting to whatever his experiences have been.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.