The Horse Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
mine covers all medical costs for Reeco and any one else that Reeco may injure if he gets out, loose, bucks me off etc. It covers colic ops and inestigations like the one I had done on Reeco's pelvis. the loss of use will pay out should Reeco end up scarred which would stop him showing.
In Artemis' post it says it will cover medical bills for the other horse or for her, not for her horse and whilst she would get a payoout if the horse died I personaly want the peace of mind to sa my horse can have what ever investigations he needs even if the only symptom is bolting.

This year alone Petplan have paid out £4000 for reecos vet bills.

my 3rd party covers me up to £10million.

As I said, for £40 a year I can get NPS cover which covers 3rd party, so would cover all bills if he were to get loose, injure someone else or injure someone elses horse.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
I'm just insuring my horse for the first time this year as she is in foal.

I insured her for death, loss of use, theft, and am going to add vet bills up to 10,000.

The basic cover is about $450 a year, and then the vet bill cover will be another $350 or so.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have Geoff insured for £6k death/theft/straying, and up to £15k vets bills with £100 excess. Also £10mill 3rd party and £50k personal injury (and being NHS I don't pay medical bills.) so it's a lot a year but I do use it regularly!

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Always insure my horses. I can't imagine not having insurance on my horse.

I had a horse who required surgery after a freak accident. It would have cost me around $7000 when all was said and done. Thank god for insurance. After that I will always have any horse I own or lease insured. I have full coverage.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have and ALWAYS will insure my horse(s). If Robbie wasn't insured, he would be dead right now.

He is insured for full mortality, major medical (up to $10,000) and colic. I pay about $125/month and it has honestly been worth every penny. I bought him for $13,500 and already decided to insure before we got him as he was a hunter with a ton of potential for the bigger jr/ams and he would be showing quite a bit. He's been mine for 4 years in april and I have used his insurance multiple times.

First time was when he coliced BAD and cost upwards of $8,000 in vet bills. No way could I or my parents pay that - insurance covered all of it minus the $500 deopsit.

Second time was when Robbie got this rare, bizzare eye infection and vet bills cost around $4,000. Insurance covered all of it minus the $500 deopsit.

Third time (which had/is happening right now) is when Robbie sliced open his leg - severed exsentor tendon down into the fetlock joint and about 10 inches across the leg. He has been on 4 months of stall rest (so far) and 1 month was spent at the vet clinic, has had 3 casts and counting, 2 surgeries, 2 bouts of colic, been on constant bute and has had about 6 different kinds of medications for treating infection, etc. We are at around $20,000 on vet bills ALONE. That does not include extra board for stall rest (he was a 24/7 outdoor horse), toys or special feed he has needed through this. And we are STILL NOT DONE. Insurance has paid out its maxium payout of $10,000 but I have personally had to fund around $15,000 to keep Robbie alive and give him the needed medical attention. If I had to pay that extra $10,000 I wouldn't be able to do it and Robbie would be PTS.

ETA: What happened to Robbie was a freak accident that could have happened to any one of the 15 horses in his field. Ironically, Robbie was the only horse in that WHOLE field that was insured. If what happened to him happened to another horse, they would be PTS immediately because not one of those horse owners could afford the medical care alone.

I'm probably one of the most strongly opinionated people for advocating insurance. My horse would not be here without it and yes, you may never have something happen in order to use it, but it is there if you ever NEED it. Because it's not fair to gamble with your horse's life if YOU don't think their purchase price justifies whether or not insurance is needed.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks for all of the responses!

We will be getting full mortality/theft/surgical/medical. I've been looking at some other plans, and it wouldn't be too expensive, especially since I am now going to be boarding at my trainer's farm instead of one down the road from me. The $200 less board price was far too good to pass on :)

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I don't insure any of mine, but generally speaking, none of my horses are worth much to anyone but me. The most expensive horse on the place is Pokey, who I paid $1200 for a few years ago. So, I just can't justify spending that much on any horse who's only real worth is sentimental.

Of course, if something big happens, I am on good terms with both my vets and they allow payment plans free of interest. If that wasn't the case, I might be a bit more interested in insurance.

·
Registered
154 Posts
When I first leased a horse I covered mortality insurance on her in case something happened the owner would be paid for the mare. I later bought her and did not continue to insure her.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I'm another in the uninsured boat. It's 1500 a year or more to insure for mortality, even more for loss of use, major medical, etc. So I choose to just pay the vet bills. Talking to friends with insured horses, after 10 years, we are pretty well even.
Posted via Mobile Device

21 - 29 of 29 Posts