The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question goes out to all of you against war and/or fights - including myself!
Anyway, all animals fight. We're a mammal, therefor an animal. Some of us do indeed fight and some of us are against it. Why is that?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Just like animals, people are all different! You have those who would rather hold hands and skip around in fields, and you have the dark side...

... we have cookies -lures-

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I think what mercedes means is that what humans fight about has nothing to do with what animals fight about. People have evil in them and in some people that evil overcomes the good and they try to destroy others with it. Then we have a choice to flee from evil or fight against it. Evil is not overcome by fleeing from it. I think most people are against war especially those that have seen it first hand but it is sometimes needed to insure freedom. I worked with a man that had been in Iraq and had seen some downright awfull things. So awfull that it effected his mental health. He stated many times that it was worth his and others sacrifices to give the people a chance at freedom.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I think it's more competition than anything. I take animal psychology classes and love to learn everything I can about how and why animals operate, the thing I'm most fascinated by is animal intelligence.

I will agree with Mercedes, but at the same time someone else can disagree. She is right in alot of ways. Because animals don't have "egos", they might test the animal in charge of the herd when they get a bit testy, but it is not because of their egos.

I guess I don't understand what your asking, who is against it? You mean against war? if that is what you mean, mammals don't plan or have wars. I'll quote (I don't remember who said it though) but.. "Humans are speciesests, meaning we put our own needs and wants inhead of other species needs". Which in the big picture is so true 0_0

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
"Humans are speciesests, meaning we put our own needs and wants inhead of other species needs". Which in the big picture is so true 0_0
It's less true of humans than any other species on earth. Do lions think about the welfare of a gazelle? Does a shark think about the welfare of the fish it eats? I care for several horses, a dog and some cats every day. I wouldn't put their lives ahead of my own but I take care of them.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
It's less true of humans than any other species on earth. Do lions think about the welfare of a gazelle? Does a shark think about the welfare of the fish it eats? I care for several horses, a dog and some cats every day. I wouldn't put their lives ahead of my own but I take care of them.
I think I worded that wrong, idk. I mean to say that - To be honest I don't know where I'm going with this but..

Animals only take when they need to survive. The definition is speciesist: "the notion that human animals are superior to other animals." Which is so true because that's exactly what we think. Speciesism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Humans have very different motives than animals do. Hmm I'm going to stop now because I have no idea where I'm going with this.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Some of us do indeed fight and some of us are against it. Why is that?

Because as humans, we don't run off of instict like other animals.

We are sentient beings. We have the ability to make decisions, to form coherent thought processes.

We aren't like animals in the sense that we MUST fight for our food, territory and mating partners, although many humans do. Our intelligence allows us to approach life situations in logical manners, rather than by animal instinct.

·
Banned
629 Posts
I fail to see your view,
Sorry, but I disagree there. :/
If you fail to see the view, then how can you disagree with it?

There, I just gave you an example of human ego...yours. You've disagreed for the sake of disagreeing because your ego doesn't understand a concept and is therefore afraid of it. Animals don't have ego, they simply are.

When people 'become', the ego no longer controls them, or their actions.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you fail to see the view, then how can you disagree with it?

There, I just gave you an example of human ego...yours. You've disagreed for the sake of disagreeing because your ego doesn't understand a concept and is therefore afraid of it. Animals don't have ego, they simply are.

When people 'become', the ego no longer controls them, or their actions.
I meant I fail to see how you are right, therefor disagreeing.
And I'm afraid of it? Really, I am? You know me that well? Wow. You sure are amusing. Anyway, it looks like you may've misread me. You sure sound like you need to loosen up.

·
Registered
333 Posts
But what makes her wrong, in your opinion.

Not being snarky, just wondering why you feel she's wrong? What is your take?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But what makes her wrong, in your opinion.

Not being snarky, just wondering why you feel she's wrong? What is your take?
Oh, it's fine.
Well, I do not believe it's our ego that fights. I think like deep down, buried under everything, we've got a fighting instinct that sometimes takes over, per se. That we fight for the same reason animals do. It's almost as if you're looking at humans like we're tamed beasts, sometimes just snapping because we are wild.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Oh, it's fine.
Well, I do not believe it's our ego that fights. I think like deep down, buried under everything, we've got a fighting instinct that sometimes takes over, per se. That we fight for the same reason animals do. It's almost as if you're looking at humans like we're tamed beasts, sometimes just snapping because we are wild.
:shock:

It is ego, greed, lust, anger, hate, etc., etc. etc. that makes people fight. Some have to fight for survival, but for the most part it's to benefit ourselves. Wars are fought for resources (land, oil, etc), or for religious reasons. That's ego encompassed.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, yes, alright, whatever. I would not like to start an argument here. Everyone has their own opinions.

·
Super Moderator
22,681 Posts
Animals only take when they need to survive.
Please correct me if I'm wrong (I admit my view is based not so reliable source) but I think this doesn't go with all of animals. For example cats and some other animals can just kill even they don't need to do it for having food or any other need. Like they catch this mouse and play with it and then leave it. Or a wolves who visit a flock of sheep and kill as much as they can but don't eat it all, perhaps take a bit there and here.

Back to the original question. Perhaps humans' way to fight is a some kind of primitive instict which breaks through our humanity, sophisticated more "human" form every now and then? Perhaps some people are driven by this instict more than others and then others have to fight so they can curb these people and keep a human society in order? Then there are some people who've decided to opposite all kind of fighting and wars? I believe that human is still very competitive creature and you can see "mini wars and fights" which are more mental all around you all the time.

Who knows. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:lol:

That was funny - I read that and was thinking the same thing.
Also, it seems like it was one of those times where you say something and completely understand it but you confuse everyone else.
haha, ever have that happen?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah i Agree with mercedes!
Animals do have different personalities but horses are flight animals! Their insinct when their is any sign of danger they run! you never see horses standing there in the face of danger they flee from the scene at once! they are natrally cowards so to speak!
humans however sometimes differ as mercedes said it all runs by ego!confidence, bravery etc!
say for example if someone pionted a knife at you your basic insinct would be to flee! unless you were really confident and tried to stand up to them!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah i Agree with mercedes!
Animals do have different personalities but horses are flight animals! Their insinct when their is any sign of danger they run! you never see horses standing there in the face of danger they flee from the scene at once! they are natrally cowards so to speak!
humans however sometimes differ as mercedes said it all runs by ego!confidence, bravery etc!
say for example if someone pionted a knife at you your basic insinct would be to flee! unless you were really confident and tried to stand up to them!
Ohh, I like how you explained it! Also, what's up with you using so many exclamation marks? haha.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.